Thread: Need to find used thwarts!!

Default Need to find used thwarts!!

I've got an older Avon bucket boat that I would like to do some paddle rafting in with my wife. It's a 15 footer and the thwarts have been lost over time. I am looking to find 2 to replace them, they don't need to be in any kind of good shape, perhaps from a boat that the bottom got trashed or something like that, maybe from a guide company that has upgraded or doesn't use them. Basically, age and condition does not matter, but price does, the boat didn't cost me much so I am not looking to put a bunch of money into an old boat. If you have any ideas where I can look or if you or someone you know has a couple lying around I would sure appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction! Thanks!

Give Jim at Denali Raft Adventure a call. He only uses avon boats and probably has some old thwarts that would fit your boat that he may be willing to part ways with.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Jim has switched to SOTAR rafts and should have some AVON parts around. Just measure the inside for the fit. Think he mainly used 16' and 18' AVONS.
    GOO

Just had Jim in my office :-) so he runs 18 footers he has no additional thwarts that will fit a 15ft round boat and yes he has some SOTARS in the inventory as well with more building however the bulk of his fleet is still Avon however I will assume a couple of years out that will change to the other.

Sorry about the no help on the 15ft thwarts

Next option, call Avon. Prior to that call, it might be worthwhile to try Nova River runners and Denali Outdoor Center. I know both of these outfits have some Avon's in their fleet.

Here is a question, do the thwarts have to be Avon? Are they attached with webbing or with a pin/clip?
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Webbing ones would be fine, and certainly don't care about brand or color either, whatever will make it work. The thwarts that were in there before used an attachment I have never seen before, or were modified before I got it. I am thinking I will just pull them off and glue in whatever attachment is needed for the new ones. I am off to work but will pump up the boat when I get back tomorrow and measure inside width. Thanks for all the help everyone!

What size do you need- have a few around I may be able to part with.
    Goo
    sotaralaska@yahoo.com

Another thought is get some hypalon foot scoops from NRS. Sounds like you have a AVON PRO, and if I remember correctly they were 44" inside, l sold Avons back in the 70's. Should be easy to glue on flat floor. You can even put an single IK thigh strap for the front leg for better support, quick release.
    I know SOTAR thwarts are $200 each. Think all of my extras are 40".
    Good luck,
    Goo

Okay, pumped it up. While it sits seeming naturally it measures 41 inches across at the thwart connections. I never really payed attention to how much pressure the thwarts put on the outer tubes of a raft once they are pumped up, but I would think I could go an inch or two in either direction from there... Any additional thoughts on that concept would also be appreciated. Again, I do not need perfection or really anything too close to perfection. Thanks again everyone!

Goo,
    I think 40" would work great, any thoughts on what your cheapest ones would be worth to you?

I will go through my warehouse this weekend and see what I have,. Have been out with the flu since the sports show and am a bit behind on everything.
    get back to me on my sotaralaska@yahoo.com I have a hard time communicating back and forth on my forum post. Hope I can help you out.
    Goo

Email sent, thanks Goo

AKBULL- another thought is you can call CLAVEY EQUIPMENT in Calif. The are the importers of AVON # 800-832-4226. Sounds like you have the ADVENTURE model, if she is 41" inside. they may have something used in their "back room" that may fit right in. All my thwarts a new, but I will check what I have. Good luck,
    Goo