Thread: Buying a Boat in Juneau

Default Buying a Boat in Juneau

My wife and I are thinking of buying a new boat that is located in Juneau. I'd like to have a marine surveyor take a look at it but I'm in Anchorage so don't know who to contact in Juneau. Can someone recommend a surveyor in Juneau they trust?

Also, we would probably head down to Haines to pick it up at the ferry terminal and then haul it back to Anchorage. I haven't driven the Alcan since 2008 so don't know what we would need to cross the border. Does everyone need passports including our kids ages 2 and 4 or is it still like the last time and we just need identification?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sobie2 on the forum. His father-n-law did two surveys for me when I lived in Juneau. Good dude. Not sure if he is still in the business tho.

You need a passport, helps to have a passport for the kids, believe they need birth certificates if not. If you are the only parent going, you need a notarized letter from the other parent saying its ok for you to take the kids across the border. That is LONG drive to tow a boat. Road in decent shape, but man it is a slog.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I think TW covered the docs needed for border crossing. Heck, while you are down there you should get out in the boat and enjoy the area. Have whoever you are buying it from drop the boat in one of the harbor slips in Juneau, load the trailer on on the ferry and ship it to Haines where you will pull it off the ferry. Then fly down to Juneau, or take the ferry down and run the boat up from Juneau to Haines and take a few days to investigate the area. Lutak inlet has some good shrimping to offer. Maybe even go up to Skagway and check the town out. I bought a SS Pilot in Juneau ran it up to Haines and trailered it back to Anchorage. It is a long drive, I took it easy and made it in 2 long days. I would recommend if the trailer is not new, have it serviced in Juneau and have a couple of spare tires.

For a marine surveyor you could call AK Boat Brokers, I think they have surveyors on staff or could recommend someone.

Back in 2008 I hired George Sepel who is located in Juneau. He is an accredited marine surveyor and I believe he is presently vice president of that organization. I was very pleased with his work and thought his fee was very fair. He can be reached at marinesurvey@gci.net Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Sobie2 on the forum. His father-n-law did two surveys for me when I lived in Juneau. Good dude. Not sure if he is still in the business tho.

You need a passport, helps to have a passport for the kids, believe they need birth certificates if not. If you are the only parent going, you need a notarized letter from the other parent saying its ok for you to take the kids across the border. That is LONG drive to tow a boat. Road in decent shape, but man it is a slog.
    Great info on both parts. Thanks.

Again great info Rhorn and Steelguy. Great suggestions and info by all. Keep it coming.

Another recco for Sepel & Son

Ck with the ferry ASAP! I tried 2 weeks ago to book northbound Bellingham to Haines and no deck space available thru June.

Lol. When i bought my boat a few months ago there was no space bellingham to haines or whittier until August
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Good to know. I've checked from Juneau to Haines and it seems pretty open but I definitely won't procrastinate once we find a boat we want.

Anyone know if you need a passport at the border is is a birth certificate enough. My wife's passport has her maiden name on it and of course our kids don't have passports.

Passport required for adults, clean record, no rap sheet or DUI's, etc...
    Best dig up the official website though....hate to see you stuck at the border for some paperwork.
    BK

Thanks again for the heads up. Looks like my wife and I may make a quick trip to Juneau to look at a few boats. If anyone knows of a nice rig for sale be sure to pass it along. Our priority is something a little bigger to fit our family better. Ideally this would be aluminum with outboards but bigger than what we currently have. We're also looking at the 27ft Sea Sport Pilot House as well so we're not set in stone.

First things first though as I need to sell our current one.