Thread: Bear kills Muskox

Default Bear kills Muskox

This is a video that was taken in Prudhoe last week. The video is actually pretty neat but it does show how screwed up fish and game is. They first eliminate the fall bear registration hunt. After doing this they can't figure out why the muscox are on the decline, so as a fix they eliminate the (2) drawing hunts for muskox to solve the problem. I think this video presence a little bit of eveidence as to where the problem is. By the way, there were 4 calves in this herd last week and now there are none.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nPS1xs-U3I

Default What made the herd flee?

Xtratuff,
    Did you shoot the video or were you present when it was taken? I'm wondering what made the herd run from the road as the video has been edited...Did our wonderful security team fire noise makers to scare the bear off? Or maybe the vehicle approached too close causing them to run?
    BK

I was not there, so could not tell you for sure.

Default Fish and Game

It isn't Fish and Game's fault. The Board of Game makes the rules and set the seasons. Fish and Game has to regulate what that board rightfully or wrongly decides...........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Cool Two for the price of one

Looks like the bear took two calves in the video..... Bears eat more than just moose and can turn on the warp drive when needed.

i bet the little swiffer dusters (baby musk ox...) are good to eat too.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I remember reading an article of the same subject in the News Miner a year or two ago. The article was an explanation from F&G on how grizzlies of some areas in Alaska have figured how to kill musk ox. These animal usually bunch-up into a tight circle to repel attacks, but the bears have changed their attack pattern. Unless the musk ox adapt, they will be an easy target. Sooner or later F&G will probably have to intervene. But who knows what they can do?

I know one thing...the answer to the problem is not to close bear seasons.

Default On the slope

No one is allowed to get in the way of mother nature. This includes all the foxes killing baby swans and geese. BP will not even allow someone to video wildlife or something like this while it is happening. They call it hazing the wild life. I'm actually suprised the persons videoing this didn't mute the sound so they could not be identified unless they were fish and game.

That bear needs to go bye-bye.

"Fish and game cant figure out why muskox is on the decline" LOL bears?

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    That bear needs to go bye-bye.
    I agree that they shouldnt take away bear season (I would love to hunt bear) but to say wat you said is not a reason to kill a bear, the bear was only doing what bears do, he was hunting for food.

Matt

Talking Predator priority

I'm not sure exactly when it changed, but it seems like the predators (bears, wolves, mtn. lions, etc.) have achieved an elevated status that put them on top of the species list of importance. What ever happened to Bambi? This was once the rallying cry of the anti's and now they're getting off, by watching predators rip Bambi apart and think it's so great and wonderful. My how the worm turns! And if there's a problem down the road with prey species numbers declining, then blame the hunters. Heck, we're still being blamed for what happened 150 years ago. And how many hawks and owls have you shot lately? None? Well, hardly anyone else has either in the last 50 years, but how come they're relatively scarce? Just like the Yellowstone griz. Hunters haven't been a factor since the inception of park status, but humans are still blamed for the decline (from thousands to hundreds). One more thought before I stop ranting...how often have you noticed that the REAL problems crop up...after hunting is diminished or curtailed???
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Not a clue

Quote Originally Posted by encore4me View Post
    I agree that they shouldnt take away bear season (I would love to hunt bear) but to say wat you said is not a reason to kill a bear, the bear was only doing what bears do, he was hunting for food. Matt
    I am guessing that you didn't see that he was going for baby # 2 and that you missed the part about 4 musk ox calves from that herd that are NO MORE!

I am also guessing that you have never seen a bear running down caribou calves. Or moose calves.

They don't eat all that they kill. Hell, watch them on a salmon river, they don't eat 10% of what they kill. They go into predator mode and do just that, kill.

That bear needs to go bye bye.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it