Thread: Garmin 740S or the 1040XS?

Default Garmin 740S or the 1040XS?

So I just picked up a a new 740S, and naturally all the sales folks are pushing the newer CHIRP technology and the 1040XS. I currently have Furuno gear on my ocean boat (sonar, GPS, & Radar) and my sonar can get a little tricky at times. I also have my river boat that I really need some new gear on and is why I'm going with Garmin since I have a lot of waypoints and tracks I want to transfer to the new unit. My plan is to use the Garmin on both boats going forward.

So the million dollar question is, is the 740s all I need or would you push for the newer technology? Thanks.
    Tony

tz, the comparison between the 2 is not really apples to apples. The 740S was about 800 bucks? 7" screen I believe? the 1040 has a 10" screen, costs about 2 grand for the unit itself plus 600 or so for the optional chirp stuff/transducer.
    I had the 740S on a boat i just sold and liked it for the touchscreen, ease of use. wasn't impressed with the stock Garmin transducer i got for it so upgraded to a P66, still wasn't that happy with it. didn't have it long enough to get it all dialed in but I see your dilemma.
    Charter guys I know swear by the chirp but they make a living using it. I'm considering a new plotter/sounder as well and considering a chirp unit.
    Good luck! Thnking a Lowrance Elite 7 but that (like every dang electronic device, is on its way out like the 740S) is a cheaper unit using their own version of chirp I think??
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

It really depends on how you are going to use it. Like Big Jim said, go with a better transducer, be it a P66 or a TM260 if you plan on fishing the deeper ocean waters, they really make a difference. For what I use mine for, the standard units work well and the chirp isn't really needed. If I were to upgrade, I would be looking at one of the units with down or side scan, the images that they put out are amazing, but then again, so are the prices.

TZ
    I have just done a ton of research on new electronics for the Hewescraft and I was going with the 741 but now I have decided to go with the 840xs. I am also doing a radar dome as well not sure if that is what else you are wanting too. This unit has everything you can ask for and still stay under 2 k for the unit and a chip. The dome is about 650$ more but you can do the dome on the big boat and just transfer the rest to your river boat when you are doing the Yukon. Garmin is doing a 200.00 rebate on the g2 card which will end up costing you 44$ after the mail in rebate. The screen on the 840xs is a 8'' versus the 7'' on the 741. I am going to miss the Yukon again this year maybe next year.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Big Jim and Ronster, yes I know I am not speaking one on one for sure. And I am not so sure I am dealing with buyers remorse or something. Given my Furuno works for 90% of my needs (and I really don't have any issues at all with it) other than some minor stuff, I was wanting to add a newer technology gaget that is newer than what I have but as mentioned many times over, newer isn't always better. For my ocean boat, I have no plans at all in removing my Furuno sounder and sonar, they both work great. I am really trying to figure out is Chirp ready for prime time. In a lot of cases, I'll think newer is better, and bigger is better, only to find out sometime neither are true. So I'll continue to think some more about it. Either way, I am convinced getting a step un on the transducer is the for sure way to go so I will do that regardless.

Sweepint, thanks for chiming in as well. Go figure you'll make it even harder for me to decide. I will have to look at the 840's since I didn't look at them all that much. I also don't know about radar on my river boat... while I love it for sure and each time I am on the Yukon, we have times it can come in handy... I just wasn't really planning on radar for it. More to mull over I guess. I am also going to pass on the yukon this year. Last year we were 4 X 4, no real big trophies but a ton of fun. And my Sea Ark pulled all 4 moose and gear out. But I did convert my jet to a prop for the trip. Wow what a difference. Thanks for the input and I'll look to connect with you maybe for the 2015 season.

Oh and were you able to fix your chain a few weeks ago when you were pulling your Dream? That was me in the blue truck. Hope you were headed back from the winter king derby...
    Tony

"the hull truth" electronics forum, is the resource you need to explore. Great info on all your questions.
    QF

Default Garmin 740S or the 1040XS?

Talk with Gil Travis on the hull truth great guy helped me out a lot. He grew up here fished here knows our needs. He help put together my line of garmin.
    Personally I would go with GSD 24 and tm260 over a 2000.00 dollar Gds 26 sounder then another 1200 for chrip transducer.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...il-travis.html
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

TZ
    I did fix it thanks for letting me know on that, that was the first time I had a shackle come loose. I will be back fishing the end of June for a bit I am hoping the timing will work out for 2015 for the Yukon. Maybe we can link up this summer some time when I head south fishing.
    Back to the Plotter, you had stated the flexility of using the unit on both boats. I don't really think you would need the radar on the river boat but mount on the ocean and have it when needed.
    Good luck I just ordered all my new gear for the Liv'n the Dream

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

+1 for working with Gill on TheHullTruth website. He hooked me up with some of my stuff at a really low price. He knows his stuff too, so if you have a question don't hesitate to run it by him.

Default Well - I've been talking to Gil...

After doing some poking around on the hull truth, and reading up on things, I emailed Gil this thread and figured he'd read it after a day. Well, he was out water testing a boat for a customer, so we connected a little bit later, after about an hour with a ton of knowledge transfer, I've decided on the 1040xs, g2 chip, side view transducer, p-66 transducer for the river boat, and the b-175 transducer for the ocean boat. Should get me going for the season now... Thanks for the help and Gil contact, for sure knowledgable and helpful.
    Tony

Default Installation update

Okay Ė so my update on the new electronics. Got my ocean boat ready for launch and installed the new electronics. As mentioned, I went with the 1040xs, B 175-12-M-1kW CHIRP transducer, and black box DownVu / SideVu transducer, and also the g2 card.

Can honestly say, I was and am just a little bit nervous about drilling a 3 ĺĒ hole in my boat, but I am sure Iíll get over it. But we ran all the wires and powered things up this weekend. Hopefully Iíll get her in the water this upcoming weekend and I can do some water tests. Over-all very please working with Gil. +10 with his recommendation and knowledge, not to mention his love for what he does and his knowledge of electronics, fishing, and Alaska waters. Hands down he has my endorsement.

Iíll take more pictures of the DownVu/SideVu transducer and how I mounted the unit once I rearrange my dash so I can include my Furuno gear as well.

image.jpgimage (5).jpg
    Tony

One more pic. Now on to the river boat config and install of the P 66 transducer.

image (1).jpg
    Tony