Thread: "Dude Licenses" Never heard of the them until now

Default "Dude Licenses" Never heard of the them until now

From Laine Welch of the Dailey News in her commercial fishing report:

Alaska lawmakers reined in a misuse of dude licenses, originally intended to let tourists experience a day in the life of a fisherman. Over time, salmon permit holders, primarily at Bristol Bay, were buying consecutive seven-day licenses for $30, half the cost of seasonal crew licenses. In 2005, when the program began, 47 dude licenses were sold; that number jumped to 1,344 in 2012. The estimated lost revenue to the state is more than $285,000. The new law will limit crew to one temporary license a year. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Paul Seaton of Homer.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2014/04/06/341041...#storylink=cpy

Default Your Point?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    From Laine Welch of the Dailey News in her commercial fishing report:

Alaska lawmakers reined in a misuse of dude licenses, originally intended to let tourists experience a day in the life of a fisherman. Over time, salmon permit holders, primarily at Bristol Bay, were buying consecutive seven-day licenses for $30, half the cost of seasonal crew licenses. In 2005, when the program began, 47 dude licenses were sold; that number jumped to 1,344 in 2012. The estimated lost revenue to the state is more than $285,000. The new law will limit crew to one temporary license a year. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Paul Seaton of Homer.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2014/04/06/341041...#storylink=cpy
    So what do you want to discuss, yukon...or do I smell a troll?

I saw this coming when I was out there and this dude stuff started. Those boys may stink like fish and bilge water, but they ain't no dummies. Net loss to the state is $285k.......oops. And if I recall correctly, the dude fishing never really took off and there were several other lawyerish issues involved in the topic.

That's it!...the ESSN fishery could become a "dude" fishery! Tourists would love it! I mean, who doesn't like the sound of corks popping over the gunnel as sockeye flop in the boat! A whole new tourism industry could be created, helping to get pressure off the River. Plus the tourists could actually go home with some fish!

Market it right, and people would pay for it. There was the new show on discovery channel on driftnet fishing. I think this "dude" thing came about when Deadliest catch got big, and that boat started fishing out of a SE port. Does cruise ship runs and pulls a pot or something. I don't remember much about it. To bad some folks cheated the system. Glad it got corrected.

I have been watch "Fish Wars" about the commercial drift net fishery in Cook Inlet, I could see a small market for a tourist joining a crew for a day or two, I would bet they would pay big bucks if they got fish out of the deal. As was said, market it right and there are possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Market it right, and people would pay for it. There was the new show on discovery channel on driftnet fishing. I think this "dude" thing came about when Deadliest catch got big, and that boat started fishing out of a SE port. Does cruise ship runs and pulls a pot or something. I don't remember much about it. To bad some folks cheated the system. Glad it got corrected.