Thread: B and J Fishing is amazing; Sportsman's Warehouse Sucks

Default B and J Fishing is amazing; Sportsman's Warehouse Sucks

In the spirit of supporting quality businesses, I thought I'd share the following experience.

I bought a pair of cheapo Hodgman chest waders (the bargain model) from Sportsman's Warehouse, and they sprung a leak less than two months after I purchased them. Now I don't expect much from bargain waders, but I expect more than two months. Anyway, I went to Sportsman's Warehouse, and they refused to exchange them.

Enter B and J Commercial Co. (on the corner of Northern Lights and Arctic). I brought the waders there to see if they could help me repair them. Tom down at B and J not only offered to help me repair them, but exchanged them for me and credited the price toward new waders (even though I bought the leaky waders somewhere else). Now I'm sure everyone has great things to say about B and J anyway (everyone has told me that they're the best in town), but I thought I'd just add my anecdote just as a plug for what I've found to be a just a solid business. Thanks B and J!

You know, I haven't been in B and J's for a long while, but your story convinced me I need to. Thanks.

Default Private v. Public...

Just goes to show you, B&J's are willing to bend over backwards to win customers, whereas Sportsmans is controlled by tightwad accountants, that answer to shareholder...

Remember back when B&J's took up most of that building, and not just the basement?

Good reminder to support local business. I've always made them my first choice for anything marine or fishing related. Good prices, awesome staff, and attention to both detail and customer service. They also offer (or at least DID last time I was there) a discount to commercial fisherman, just have yer crew license on ya!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Waders rip... its life. Now im assuming you know of a thing called a warrenty but if you dont, its how long the product is approved for guarenteed excelence, as you said theyre the cheapos, probably not long . Sportsmans always has helped me, and their prices are usually good especially for vibraxes . Maybe give them a second chance? (No i dont work there)

Default B & J's

Yeah, Sportsman's warehouse is impressive, a neat store, but I have had some poor service about four times in a row when I spent 500 dollars on an ice tent.
    I just discovered B & J's a few months ago, and I like them. Great advice, and an amazing amount of stuff down in that basement. I've already spent over 1000 dollars there. Cool place.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I can't comment on Sportsman's Warehouse. I was long away from the area when they came to town. But, B & J's remains one of my favorite stores anywhere.

Variety, quality, and service. Who wants more?

I can comment about B&J's credibility. Last year they took a photograph off my web site and used it with there add for the Seward Silver Salmon derby and they also had the photograph opening there web site.
    After a registered letter to them and a couple of personal visits to see the manager they still refused to pay me for using my copyrighted photo.
    Tennessee

Default Copyrighted photo

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I can comment about B&J's credibility. Last year they took a photograph off my web site and used it with there add for the Seward Silver Salmon derby and they also had the photograph opening there web site.
    After a registered letter to them and a couple of personal visits to see the manager they still refused to pay me for using my copyrighted photo.
    What's your website?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

the comm fish discount is sweet, I've been buying stuff from Jason who works there (formally boondocks) since I was 9
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Sportsmans bites, B and J rocks!

I bought a Lowrance depthfinder at Sportsmans on a X-mas sale, the seafinder model, which differs considerably from the freshwater model, (both in price and functionality). It was a floor model, so the salesman went in back and wrapped it up in its box and brought it out to me. I stuck it on the shelf at home till last spring, (5 months later). I discovered he put a freshwater model in a seafinder box. I went back to Sportsmans (w/receipt, the box, and the unit), and went through a handful of "customer service" rep's before the manager finally came out. The manager told me to call the factory, he could do nothing for me. We went round and round, but he refused to help me what-so-ever.
    Lowrance on the other hand, bent over backwards to make it right.
    Needless to say, I won't step in to Sportsmans again.
    Love B and J's though, never had a problem with anything they have sold me. If you buy a rod/reel combo they will give you a break on the total package, plus they are know about thier products.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    What's your website?
    http://pawprintphotography.com/
    Tennessee

Default B & J Commercial

chvynva916 It's folks like you that make it worth while being in business, thank you for taking the time to report the good things. I deal with the stores from a different angle than the public. B & J's are top shelf from this side too. I have consistantly seen some let the customer service end of the business slide away. Tom is great and he really cares to earn and keep your business. Happy fishing.

Sorry guys, but I need to lock this thread - and I will delete it tomorrow after you all have seen this message. The forum rules are clear on this. Feel free to start another thread praising B&J (I've been shopping there since I was a kid), but leave out the negative comments about Sportsman's Warehouse. Thanks.

7) We do not permit negative comments about individuals, businesses or organizations. If a question is posted about a business, it is best to respond privately. The issue is one of liability for us. These forums are a public service, and we are unwilling to deal with the potential for litigation that could destroy our business. The easiest answer for us is "no negative comments." If you have had a bad experience, simply indicate that you have had experience with the company in question and invite people to contact you privately.