Thread: Vacuum sealing primers

Default Vacuum sealing primers

Any problems vacuum sealing primers or loaded ammo to prevent moisture?

I have heard of people using dry ice and plastic 5 gallon buckets. Remember the colder the air, the less water vapor it can hold.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

No problems here. I seal primers as soon as I get them home. I am about to open a 1000 box that I sealed up in 2009 I think, no trouble expected.

I do keep some ammo dry in my field pack with food saver bags. Works pretty good, but the bags get beat up in my pack and generally the bag will need replacing in less than two years.

I have vac sealed some bricks of primers. No problems with them. I think it just makes me feel better. I've stored primers in ammo cans outside (wood shed), no problems. I've come across some really old primers, in the 30 yr range, that were stored outside (unheated storage) from -30 to 100+ in cardboard boxes and they still went bang just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I have vac sealed some bricks of primers. No problems with them. I think it just makes me feel better. I've stored primers in ammo cans outside (wood shed), no problems. I've come across some really old primers, in the 30 yr range, that were stored outside (unheated storage) from -30 to 100+ in cardboard boxes and they still went bang just fine.
    If nothing else it would help keep me working from the same brick I think.
    Yes primers are pretty hardy critters, powder on the other hand can last well if well stored but can go downhill rather quick if poorly stored.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I once left a box of primers outside for an entire year. The carboard case was severly weathered. Everyone of those 100 primers worked in my target loads. Likewise, the target loads were just as accurate as my hunting loads.

Thanks for the input Guys

Won't hurt anything but I don't think you will live long enough to see modern primers go bad under any normal storage method.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    If nothing else it would help keep me working from the same brick I think.
    Yes primers are pretty hardy critters, powder on the other hand can last well if well stored but can go downhill rather quick if poorly stored.
    So, what do you think would be considered the limits of "poorly stored powder"? If its in the original 1 lb cans and never opened could they be stored in a cold storage area for long periods? Once they are opened, could you reseal the lids with say Shoo Goo or something for long term storage?

A guy I know said he poured a 50 lb keg into multiple containers and stored it for years in his garage. When he opened it, the powder had an orange residue and I believe he said he disposed of it all. I don't know what he stored them in, but what would be your first clue the powder was bad? Lack of the ether-y smell?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Never seen bad Smokeless Powder.

I've heard it smells bad, it's bad, and if it clumps, it is bad.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

For powder you want cool constant temps and sealed so you have constant humidity. Stored well it lasts indefanetley, military sells it after 30 years of shelf life. The larger the keg it's in (full keg) the better it seams to do, heat seems to be worse than cold but hot/cold swings are worst. Bad powder looks or smells like bad powder, stinks, clumps, discolors, it just isn't right and if not in ammo you will notice. Usuley it heats weaker or ineffective but sometimes it turns into a bomb, the clumping stuff is bad news! Clumped powder in surpluses 30-06 ammo almost killed my Dad in the 80s, laid waste to his M1 and I posted pix of it here's couple times . . . I'll see if I can find them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Interesting, I've heard of black powder clumping, but not smokeless. I once bought a large batch of German 8mm ammo to pull the bullets. The powder just poured out and when I took the dutch oven out in the back yard and touched it off, it caused quite the inferno for a brief moment in time. My first wife did wonder why there was a charred circle on the grass though.
    I have two of the old square metal cans of 2400, I bought 2 years ago, with the metal caps that you press in the middle to open and push on the outside rim to reclose. Probably from the early to mid sixties. They had been sitting on a shelve in the guy's garage since new, out of sight behind some bits of this and that. They still work fine in my .44 Special and mag.

I've dismantled lots of ammo and burned the powder off in a pie pan usuley. I'm always amased how difreant powders burn outside the presure of the case, some hardly light and others singe the hair off your hand, some dull yellow flame and others blue like a blow torch.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona