Thread: Boat registration

Default Boat registration

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about boat registration and maybe someone can point me in the right direction on where to find some better info. I'm looking for insight for a college project I'm working on and just wanted to get different points of view regarding the subject.

I was just wondering what every ones views were on registering your boats? I understand the need for a car/trucks but where's the money going? We all pay money to launch at any maintained launches so what does the state need the extra money for? What is that money used for? Does anyone know if anywhere in Alaska that launching fees are covered under registration funds? I can see where snow machine registration goes for a small portion of users yet everyone still pays but cant see where my boat registration dollars are going. One thing I can think of is it may pay rescue teams to save people when things go bad?

Let me know what you think and if I'm missing the obvious.

Thanks,

Dan

I would contact the DMV and ask them, then ask your state rep. You should be able to find out if the money goes to the general fund or is dedicated for a known use.

good question

It goes where everything but Hunting license fees go. The general fund.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a few questions about boat registration and maybe someone can point me in the right direction on where to find some better info. I'm looking for insight for a college project I'm working on and just wanted to get different points of view regarding the subject.

I was just wondering what every ones views were on registering your boats? I understand the need for a car/trucks but where's the money going? We all pay money to launch at any maintained launches so what does the state need the extra money for? What is that money used for? Does anyone know if anywhere in Alaska that launching fees are covered under registration funds? I can see where snow machine registration goes for a small portion of users yet everyone still pays but cant see where my boat registration dollars are going. One thing I can think of is it may pay rescue teams to save people when things go bad?

Thanks,

Dan
    Boat registration is covered under the Federal Small Boat Safety Act of 1971. For several years, AK (and NH) left it up to the US Coast Guard, but in recent years the State has taken the task over. Of course if your boat is at least 28' long (or more) you don't have to pay the $6 to register it every 3 years. You could put out a few Thou and have it documented - as long as it was built in the US... You might start your research off at the library with a more recent copy of CHAPMAN PILOTING, by Elbert S. Maloney.

I'm looking for insight for a college project I'm working on and just wanted to get different points of view regarding the subject.
    Sounds as though you've already made up your mind about the outcome of your project, simply by the way you've laid out your points in the following paragraph. Reads more like the typical "impartial polls" we get on the phone. I'm not playing until you re-frame your own little "poll."

Some of the money in Alaska goes for repairs of the Alaska Marine Highway system. Pot holes, damaged signs, restriping and such.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan: Start here http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/index.htm and contact the State of Alaska's Boating Law Administrator. As Old John mentioned, the State of Alaska passed a boating safety law in 1999; part of the law included assuming the registration requirement from the Coast Guard (administered by State DMV). If you have questions for the Coast Guard, either post here or call me direct at (907) 463-2297.

Boat Safer!
    Mike Folkerts
    (907) 463-2297

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Some of the money in Alaska goes for repairs of the Alaska Marine Highway system. Pot holes, damaged signs, restriping and such.
    It's no wonder the highway doesn't hold up better; AKDOT's so stinkin' cheap, all they ever use to fill the potholes is that highfloat runoff...everybody knows the salted stuff holds up much better. I thought the signage and striping was maintained by the CG from federal funds?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    Dan: Start here http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/index.htm and contact the State of Alaska's Boating Law Administrator. As Old John mentioned, the State of Alaska passed a boating safety law in 1999; part of the law included assuming the registration requirement from the Coast Guard (administered by State DMV). If you have questions for the Coast Guard, either post here or call me direct at (907) 463-2297.
    Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sounds as though you've already made up your mind about the outcome of your project, simply by the way you've laid out your points in the following paragraph. Reads more like the typical "impartial polls" we get on the phone. I'm not playing until you re-frame your own little "poll."
    It wasn't suppose to be a poll. I was just looking for info regarding specific uses for the money that involves the sport. Its easy to see the money from regular vehicle, or when your driving a snow machine down a groomed marked trail but not so much for the use of a boat I guess.

Like folks have been saying- You need to ask DOT and the boating safety folk.

I was just wondering what every ones views were on registering your boats?
    That sure doesn't seem to be a search for info on where the money is going.

Can't imagine what kind of class project you'd use the info on. Be sure to share your original post with the prof and see what they think of the answers you got. You'll get the education you're after! Pretty good example of "poisoning the well," whether an info search or a poll.

why does it bother you so much that I asked what people thought of registration and what the money is used for specifically for boats?

I found out last year the CG don't enforce it on inland water now, State troopers do.
    & Registering the trailer is not registering the boat.
    Cost me $50 to learn that

Plus they check for the required safety equipment.
    Got to have an up to date air horn or a CG approved whistle. (to run the Su at night or in the thick fog) So other boats can hear & locate you
    Up to date flares, life vests, throwable floatation.

Wonder where the money from my fine went ?

When I lived in MN I worked foir the State DNR. We did maintenance on trails for all user groups as well as maintenance on boat ramps and fishing piers as part of our job.
    What was nice was that when you paid to register your boat you were provided useable boat ramps with parking lots and docks on many many lakes and rivers throughout the entire state with no additional launch fees of any kind.
    If a ramp got damaged due to ice or whatever we fixed it. Each spring we cleaned up the accumulation of trash and garbage left behind by others.
    The docks and piers were built by prisoners in the state prisons so they were a quality built product that didn't bust the budget.
    It was nice to get something directly related to our registration dollars.
    Unlike AK where I pay to register both my boats and still pay launch fees all over the place.
    I still like Ak better but it would be nice to see our registration fees directly used for the benefit of those users paying them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

[QUOTE=BrownBear;1383990]Like folks have been saying- You need to ask DOT and the boating safety folk.

That sure doesn't seem to be a search for info on where the money is going.

Can't imagine what kind of class project you'd use the info on. Be sure to share your original post with the prof and see what they think of the answers you got. You'll get the education you're after! Pretty good example of "poisoning the well," whether an info search or

couldnt imagine a guy with a worse attitude. "Internet Yough Guy"