Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full curl ?

Default Full curl ?

For you sheep hunters took this photo last fall ?

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Top right and top left both legal, no question. Both 8+. Top right definitely full on his left side, top left appears to be broke/broomed on his right horn, and is at least 8, maybe 9. I sure am confident sitting in front of a keyboard Great pic!
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Top left is legal with rt side broom. Top right looks marginal on horn size. Not counting rings, I would pass on the top right. The tips are not starting to turn out.

This is why I don't think I'll ever be a sheep hunter! Too hard for me to tell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not confident on any of them at this angle. I would be looking hard at the top right and left ones as they turn their head, though. They're probably age legal, but I'm not inclined to pull the trigger on rings.

top left is broomed on his right; he also looks to be at least 8 years old. I would hope to see a better view, though. top right might be legal, but I don't see anything else to base a shot upon. the others, I think, are sub-legal

Center one looks to be 7. If it isn't a draw area I think I would be checking the same spot this August.

All those rams look small, even the the 8 year old, this could be National Park....small ones easily seen, big ones way way in the back somewhere never to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    All those rams look small, even the the 8 year old, this could be National Park....small ones easily seen, big ones way way in the back somewhere never to be seen.
    You know your sheep. Yep took these in Denali National Park last fall

One side broomed does not make a ram legal. Would have to look closer at different angles for sure, but unless you are a ring counter - then it isn't looking good.

In Alaska - 10% - yes, TEN PERCENT of rams taken are ILLEGAL. 10%. Me thinks that a lot of those are ring counters.

At least 3 legal rams in this picture that I see

Real nice shot, Roger! Of course it's DNP, that's why they are down lower without a care in the world <grin>. Honestly don't see how anyone can say for sure any of those rams are legal. And you annuli counters out there, take the advice of longtime sheep hunter biologists and don't shoot if you only count 8 rings.

The ram on the upper left doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the full-curl requirement or "with both horns broken or broomed" requirement. Neither does the ram that's directly center. The ram on the upper right comes close to meeting the full curl requirement on his left horn and another angle would be needed in order to determine whether or not that horn meets the legal definition of 360 degrees. Counting rings isn't the answer for any of these rams, as the majority of them are well below eight years of age and only two might be eight years of age, but certainly no older than that. Based solely on the imagine that's presented, I would not advise a client to kill any of the rams. Ramifications for violating statute and regulation isn't worth a "maybe".

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    The ram on the upper left doesn't come anywhere close to meeting the full-curl requirement or "with both horns broken or broomed" requirement. Neither does the ram that's directly center. The ram on the upper right comes close to meeting the full curl requirement on his left horn and another angle would be needed in order to determine whether or not that horn meets the legal definition of 360 degrees. Counting rings isn't the answer for any of these rams, as the majority of them are well below eight years of age and only two might be eight years of age, but certainly no older than that. Based solely on the imagine that's presented, I would not advise a client to kill any of the rams. Ramifications for violating statute and regulation isn't worth a "maybe".

I have to agree 100%. I would definitely advise against shooting any of these young rams.

Yeah, there isn't a ram there I would say with this picture 100% legal. The two are close. Maybe even 8, but I don't count annuli in order to kill a ram.

None of these do it for me. A couple of close calls, but to say they are legal, no question....that's a stretch in my opinion. Nice picture though.

If you zoom in, I see at least 8 very clear annuli on both the top left and right sheep. I may have been hasty to say that the top right is full on his left horn, looks to be but would want another angle for sure. None are trophies for sure, low 30"s probably. Question was legal or not. Both sheep may not make it another year in the more popular walk-in, easily accessible fly in areas...

Let me be clear, I wouldn't shoot either of them based on age alone. But from the pic it looks like they're both 8.

closer pic...............................

Yep, top.right legal by curl," middle picture in second post appears 9, and bottom right standing ram also by curl. Same ram in all three? The first pic top left ram aears 8 but not by curl....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast