Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Felt - Soled?

Default What to do with Felt - Soled?

A neighbor was moving out of state and said he had some new Sims waders that he couldn't fit in his truck. I said I'd take em and to just leave em on my porch if I wasnt home. So Sunday morning I open the door and there's the box - size 11 waders, size large, boot attached, and felt on the soles. If they were used or junky I would just toss em but they are brand spankin new and I don't think they've even been out of the box other than to try them on/when I looked at em this AM. What can I do with these? I already have waders and cant use felted anyways - is there a way to get the felt off or what?

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    A neighbor was moving out of state and said he had some new Sims waders that he couldn't fit in his truck. I said I'd take em and to just leave em on my porch if I wasnt home. So Sunday morning I open the door and there's the box - size 11 waders, size large, boot attached, and felt on the soles. If they were used or junky I would just toss em but they are brand spankin new and I don't think they've even been out of the box other than to try them on/when I looked at em this AM. What can I do with these? I already have waders and cant use felted anyways - is there a way to get the felt off or what?
    Send them to me. My state has not banned them yet:>)

ClearCreek

...Sims....
    Check the Simms site, probably the support section. When the law first passed Simms set up with one of the shoe repair places in Anchorage to remove felt and replace with other soles. For a fee of course, but considering the price you paid....

Congrats, BTW!

From what I gather and I certainly could be wrong but was under the impression felt is only banned for fishing. Hunting, mining, hiking ect is still ok.

But removing felt and replacing with screw in metal studs would be a good option.

Contact Simms and see what they can do.

I believe 5th Avenue shoe repair and Boot Country will replace felt soles with rubber for about $65. Give 'em a call...

ebay ?????
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Another option is to simply rock them until they die and take the fines if you get any.

Cost of the fines vs the price you paid over the life of the waders..

It's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    From what I gather and I certainly could be wrong but was under the impression felt is only banned for fishing. Hunting, mining, hiking ect is still ok.

But removing felt and replacing with screw in metal studs would be a good option.

Contact Simms and see what they can do.
    Banned for hunting also.

sell them to a gold dredger. Not banned for mining.

Given that felt is banned to prevent the spread of disease, maybe don't put them in any more Alaska waters?

Get them resoled from 5th ave., they have the newest simms/vibram soles available.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I had Boot Country re-sole my wading boots and they did a great job.

Local cobbler can do them! Or send them to me!

When the ban went into effect, I put my Simms L2 felt-sole boots on E-bay. Guy in Tennessee bought them for a price that was good for both of us. I believe that many L48 states still allow felt soles, so there should be a decent market remaining there.
    The fisherman: "He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him."

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll post em on ebay for cheap, someone might as well use em

I pealed the felt off mine, they work fine. It is a pain, but they didnt leak afterwords so it worked out fine.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll post em on ebay for cheap, someone might as well use em
    How cheap?

Ya I would be interested in them if you are selling.

Tear off as much felt as you can and cover the sole with ShoeGoo making dimples all over. Works very well but wears down if your walking trails much.

I just tore the felt off and didnt put anything on it. Afterwords I walked hours upon hours hunting with them, and they are still fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast