Thread: question on the electronics install

Default question on the electronics install

OK I've been working on the downrigger installation between doing house up grades that have nearly been going on for a full year, and I'm not complaining I like doing carpentry, plumbing, etc. BUT the real question is:
    I'm debating whether to make the radio a removable unit like the GPS/chartplotter/fishfinder. Reason being we seem to have an abundance of thieves in the Mendenhall Valley area. I can lock my hatch cover and my bulk head door but if no one is home and the neighbors aren't either all it takes is a smash of the window on the door to get in.

What do you folks do? Neither is going to be a flush mount so removing each time shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know what you have for downriggers.. our previous Scotty's and our current Cannon's have bases that mount to the gunnels
    the down riggers themselves can be removed from the bases and stored securely under lock and key in the V berth along with the rods/reels, etc.

I don't have any trouble in Homer. You only have to shoot the first one in the leg. He will spread the word. The second one you gut shoot, the rest become believers! In small towns we know who they are, you just have to let them know you will start with them. No questions. I don't even lock my boat. Just one small sign that asks " Is anything in here worth your life?"

Gimbal mount, blade connectors for power, and a touch of teflon on threads of antenna connector. 1 minute remove and store. If its a vhf w/dsc its a little more complicated.

QF