Thread: question for owners of twin yamaha outboards

Default question for owners of twin yamaha outboards

My new-to-me boat has twin 150 yamahas. The gauges are twin tacs and another single fuel management gauge. I am just getting used to the boat, and started up the engines this weekend on the hose. I noticed that the fuel management gauge only comes on when the starboard engine is running. It doesn't come on when the port engine is running. I'm off to get a dual hose setup from home depot to run both engines at once.

Is this normal? Could it only be reading one engine? I looked at the book and it shows a spot where you can have it read the S, or P engines, or a letter for both that I can't recall right now.. But on this system I can't see anything that shows P & S.

Help appreciated.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    My new-to-me boat has twin 150 yamahas. The gauges are twin tacs and another single fuel management gauge. I am just getting used to the boat, and started up the engines this weekend on the hose. I noticed that the fuel management gauge only comes on when the starboard engine is running. It doesn't come on when the port engine is running. I'm off to get a dual hose setup from home depot to run both engines at once.

Is this normal? Could it only be reading one engine? I looked at the book and it shows a spot where you can have it read the S, or P engines, or a letter for both that I can't recall right now.. But on this system I can't see anything that shows P & S.

Help appreciated.
    Thanks exactly how my Hewes works. No need to get a dual hose setup. Just turn the key to the on position for the starboard engine without starting it and it will read the fuel use for the port engine while it's running. Mine reads fuel use for port alone, starboard alone, or both when running. I've never found toggling between the two to be useful.

Hope that helps.

My set up on sea sport with twin 150s is the same as yours only starboard is running

My set up on Hewes 26' Alaskan only reads one motor, Starboard, so if it reads 5 mpg I divide by two, so I am getting 2.5. When it reads 6 mpg I am really happy, 3.0 mpg at cruise and twin Honda 135's and I am happy! Honda may be set up differently than Yahama, I don't think there is any way to have both reading or switch to port engine. So, I just presume they use equal fuel running at the same rpm with the same props...

My boat is wired the same way. I installed a NEMA 2000 backbone and tied into both motors and my GPS. Now I can monitor either motor that is running. You will be able to see total fuel burned, GPH, mpg, fuel remaining, oil pressure, engine water temp, rpm,s , and a few other things that I can't remember right now. Plus it should be more accurate on fuel burn since it's reading off the ECU instead of the turbine wheel that the fuel management gauge uses.

I noticed that the fuel management gauge only comes on when the starboard engine is running. It doesn't come on when the port engine is running.
    As far as the gauge only turning on when the stbd engine is running, that should just be a matter of wiring. I have Lowrance LMF gauges that keep track of fuel consumption. I connected the power lead for the LMF gauge to the port engine switch, since that's the engine we usually troll with and having running as a single. When both engines are running it displays fuel burn data from both engines.

One of these days I'll get around to wiring the power so that the LMF gauge turns on when either outboard is running. It's just a matter of crawling under the dash and doing it.

I'm off to get a dual hose setup from home depot to run both engines at once.
    I don't know which model of Yamaha fuel management gauge you have, but if your boat was rigged to only run one engine at a time, maybe you just have a single-engine gauge?

tlingitwarrior,

I noticed that the fuel management gauge only comes on when the starboard engine is running.
    This behavior is due to how the power source was wired for the fuel management gauge. The gauge is being powered by key on power from the starboard engien. You don't have to have it wired that way.

Here is the Yanaha Fuel Management gauge I have on our boat:

Take a look at this information from the rigging guide for this model of FM gauge:

The yellow wire is what powers the guage and the red wire is what allows information to be saved when the guage is turned off. Instead of powering the fuel management guage from key on power from a motor, I chose to run the yellow wire to an accessory switch panel that I have for my electronics. I turn on the fuel management guage with the switch on my accessory panel. Then I can see fuel flow for for whatever motor is running. Then I will always be tracking total fuel used when I am trolling for the day and alternating which motor is running.

Here is a link to a PDF version of the user guide for this Yamaha FM guauge in this thread from another forum:
    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...th7801-p2.html

You will have to create an account on the forum to see the pdf.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I don't know which model of Yamaha fuel management gauge you have, but if your boat was rigged to only run one engine at a time, maybe you just have a single-engine gauge?
    Sorry, I was scratching my head when i first read your post about running both engines as once. For some reason i was thinking fuel lines. I later reread your post with fresh eyes and realized that you probably meant a garden hose setup to keep both engines cool when running them out of the water.

Can I get a mulligan on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Sorry, I was scratching my head when i first read your post about running both engines as once. For some reason i was thinking fuel lines. I later reread your post with fresh eyes and realized that you probably meant a garden hose setup to keep both engines cool when running them out of the water.

Can I get a mulligan on this one?
    LOL! Yep, that's what I meant. I usually take 2 mulligans per 9 holes!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am