Thread: Nushagak in early June questions

Default Nushagak in early June questions

I've been wanting to fish the Nushagak for some years now, but could never afford it. I have to fly in to Dillingham for work on June 6th and I may have the option to stay a couple of days. I was wondering if the kings will be in at that time? I've looked at several lodges and most don't start fishing until the middle of June. Are there guides that guide that early in the season? Is it even legal to fish this early? Any info would be appreciated...

I'll be interested to hear too. We flew over there years ago, but it was the end of June.
    It would sure be a shame to be in Dillingham but be just a couple weeks too early!

You're a couple weeks early for the beginning of prime fishing.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What about any other fishing? Seems like a waste not to try something if I'm already there. I wish I were going a couple weeks later, but I have to go when the boss says to...

If you can get access to a boat there is decent arctic char and northern pike fishing available in Aleknagik Lake. Rainbows are closed until the 8th of June, but after that you can find them in the 'wak or some of the tributary streams.

You're too early. We didn't begin to commercial fish for kings until after the 20th. Later for reds. The lakes would be the best bet to fish early June, like someone said.

Tim

Roger what Bairdi said, there are some kings that early but densities are waaay low but there are small pulses before June 15 which is when more consistent action is had.

If no boat, you can fish char smacking outmigrating smolt off the beach to the right of the Alegnagik boat ramp.....any white jig or spoon or of course fly will work, but spoons may help with the distance.