Thread: Gunsmith to check out old rifle needed

Default Gunsmith to check out old rifle needed

I recently inherited my Grandpa's Marlin Model 1893 30-30. It's in good shape, even though it sat in a gun cabinet for the last 40 years or more. I'd like to take it to somebody in Anchorage that can look it over and make sure it's safe to shoot. Does anybody have any recommendations?

There seems to be some mystery on when these early Marlins were made, but this one appears to have been built in 1900.

The guy that treat me right and I trust lives in the valley. ADfields right here on the forum. You can't go wrong with Andy.

Thanks for the tip, Bear. Sounds like it might be worth my time to drive to the Valley. Does anyone have a recommendation in Anchorage or should I just forgo the Anchorage choices and head straight to Andy?

I'm excited to try and get a blackie with it this spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Bear. Sounds like it might be worth my time to drive to the Valley. Does anyone have a recommendation in Anchorage or should I just forgo the Anchorage choices and head straight to Andy?

I'm excited to try and get a blackie with it this spring!
    anytime... the trip will be worth it.. I was always leary of gunsmiths,kind of like mechanics..lol but took a chance with Andy after a few reccomandations. I trused him to fix my bear back up gun, minor job but man he took care of me. Then had him do up a stock for my sheep gun and he again exceeded expectations.. Ive asked his advice numerous times and he always made time to answer.. Next up I will be having him do up a mountain gun for me.. he knows his stuff..

For antiques like that, Andy has quite the reputation. I haven't used him myself yet, but I plan to in the very near future. He contributes a significant amount of knowledge here, and can advise you intelligently on your antique guns. For my money, I would rather to go to a guy who shares my passion for vintage firearms than to a guy who mostly builds AR15's but will work on my "beater" for the extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Ive asked his advice numerous times and he always made time to answer
    And have you ever noticed, that advise never really comes with a price tag? He's answered a lot of questions for me, in great detail, and I never paid a dime for it.

Well thanks for the high prase. Yup I'd be happy to help if you want to make the trip, love old guns. In Anchorage, if he isn't too busy The Kid at Wild West should be able to help.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Andy.....where can I find you out here in the valley? I just took in a old O/U 12ga that might need a little work done.....

JEFF

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Andy.....where can I find you out here in the valley? I just took in a old O/U 12ga that might need a little work done.....

JEFF
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1409927
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yup. Southcentral's shooting community lost a valuable resource.

Dang......well who else does everyone recommend out in the vally for a little gunsmith work??

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I know of two other Gunsmiths in the Valley, but I wouldn't recommend either one.

With Andy gone, I'd go to Stan Jackson in Anchorage. 907-349-3854

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.