Thread: Dalton Highway Hunting Information Request

Default Dalton Highway Hunting Information Request

We are planning a hunt off one of the rivers on the Dalton Highway. I am looking for information about what rivers you have traveled on and what recommendations you have for us. What direction did you travel on what river, and what guided you to make that decision? How dangerous were the waterways? Are the locals something that we will have to be concerned with? Any and all information is really appreciated! Just trying to make our hunt exciting, but safe and knowledgeable.

Maybe if you were more specific about what you want to do, some would chime in. What species? Are you walking off the road? Is this before or north of the Yukon bridge?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks martentrapper. We are going for moose, using a boat on a river. Right now eyeballing Koyukuk. If the Yukon River bridge is near Ft. Hamlin, then the hunt is projected to be north of there, GMU 24A

Did the South Fork Koyukuk a long time ago. Only saw a couple of moose, but bear and wolf sign was everywhere. Motored upstream from the road and heavy floods a couple days in our trip almost made us lose our truck back at the launch. I drive past that stretch of river quite often, and the water level always seems different. Fairly easy river to run when shallow compared to others I've been on. Good looking country up there, I was surprised we didn't see more. We got up high and glassed, and walked the woods looking for sign.

A guy I work with (he and a friend) took a Jon boat up there last year for moose. They saw several camps, 2 cow moose and 5 grizzlies. They took 2 of those bears...

If you check the online store of this website there are at least 2 books listed in there that cover float hunting in Alaska.
    A Complete Guide to Float Hunting Alaska by Larry Bartlett and
    Float hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-05-2016 at 12:58. Reason: fixed link

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

That is one piece of information that I was looking for Jerod! So, there is a launch point on the south fork K haul road? Is it maintained? Fairly easy or a difficult launch? I also heard that most boat hunters go down stream to hunt, and we were hoping to head up. What's your take on the two different directions?

I am definitely going to have a bear tag when we're up there...it sounds like they had a good hunt. Did they walk away with any advice that they would like to pass on?

I looked at both of those books and will definitely be adding them to my collection of hunting books. Thanks Daveinthebush

Quote Originally Posted by AKWINDAGE View Post
    I am definitely going to have a bear tag when we're up there...it sounds like they had a good hunt. Did they walk away with any advice that they would like to pass on?
    Air boaters went down river and most jet boaters went up. 21' Thunderjets with inboards get trashed. Too shallow in various places. Too big of boat for that creek. Lots of rocks, some overhanging lumber in areas too. Go light... Launch is unimproved, at best...

Hope your not taking a very big boat and don't plan on getting very far out from the 5 mile corridor. Lots of boulders the further up you go and at one point there is a boulder field that you want get a jet boat through. Also remember there is one charter service that drops a ton of people off in that area and a couple others that also drop hunters off in that area.

Thanks 450hunter...do you have a charter service that you recommend?

Thank you for all the info guys...we have taken it all into consideration and changed our river to the Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKWINDAGE View Post
    Thank you for all the info guys...we have taken it all into consideration and changed our river to the Yukon.
    Smart move. You should really consider fly in, float out as an alternative too...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather