Thread: Lowrance Chartplotter? I need a favor!

Default Lowrance Chartplotter? I need a favor!

I need to update the software on my Lowrance LMF gauges. To do that, I need to connect them to a N2K network (NMEA 2000, red connectors) and use a Lowrance head unit to install the software updates from an SD card.

The problem is, I don't have a Lowrance head unit.

If anyone is running a Lowrance chartplottoer (with an SD card slot) with an N2K network, I'm hoping you could help me out. I'd be happy to bring a case of your favorite beer/beverage, and swap fishing lies while the electronics do their thing. Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    I need to update the software on my Lowrance LMF gauges. To do that, I need to connect them to a N2K network (NMEA 2000, red connectors) and use a Lowrance head unit to install the software updates from an SD card.

The problem is, I don't have a Lowrance head unit.

If anyone is running a Lowrance chartplottoer (with an SD card slot) with an N2K network, I'm hoping you could help me out. I'd be happy to bring a case of your favorite beer/beverage, and swap fishing lies while the electronics do their thing. Any takers?
    I'll be working on and cleaning up the boat this weekend. Not sure I totally understand what you need but you're welcome to come up and use mine.

I wasn't able to use Patrick's Lowrance unit to perform the update, but I certainly appreciate his offer and enjoyed our boat/fishing conversations. Nice meeting you!

I did get one gauge updated at Cabela's. I asked one of their sales associates, and he was happy to let me use their equipment to attempt the update. The newer gauge updated just fine, but the older ones both crapped out on me. I'll have to contact Lowrance and see what they want me to do with them. In the meantime, I've got one gauge to get me through the season. Bring on the sunshine!

I wasn't able to use Patrick's Lowrance unit to perform the update, but I certainly appreciate his offer and enjoyed our boat/fishing conversations. Nice meeting you!

I did get one gauge updated at Cabela's. I asked one of their sales associates, and he was happy to let me use their equipment to attempt the update. The newer gauge updated just fine, but the older ones both crapped out on me. I'll have to contact Lowrance and see what they want me to do with them. In the meantime, I've got one gauge to get me through the season. Bring on the sunshine!
    Sorry I couldn't help you out Dan but it was good to meet you. Hope to see you on the water this year.

How are they acting when the crapped out? I have one smaller cheaper unit that keeps loosing GPS signal randomly. Started out just once in a while, but now it is more often than not. I have triple checked all connectors on the NM200 network. A different head on the same GPS antennae doesn't loose its signal.

I think that mine are too old to have SD slots but I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How are they acting when the crapped out?
    They went dark on the restart and never turned back on. Dead.

They went dark on the restart and never turned back on. Dead.
    Which LMF do you have, I have done a hard reset on my LMF 200, suspect the 400 is the same, seems that info is not in the 4 gazillion page manual......maybe lo-rance tech told me how....? I can look it up if you want to try it....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

'Gramps, the two dead gauges are LMF200's. I haven't contacted Lowrance yet. I'll get an e-mail off to them today.

Here is how to do a hard reset: NOTE: YOU WILL LOSE SAVED DATA, SUCH AS FUEL TANK SIZE, PAGES SCROLLED...ECT

Hard Reset (Deletes stored data)
    LMF 200 Reset 1. Turn Unit off
    2. Press and hold the UP button
    3. Turn unit on (activate power to NMEA network or connect unit to operating network)
    4. Release UP Button after Test screen appears.
    5. Turn unit off (disconnect power to NMEA 2000 network or remove unit from network)

Link to the page:
    http://www.lowrance.cn/en/Support/Pr...et-Procedures/

Good luck with Lowrance, I like the product but have found their cust ser less than stellar, that has been a few years, hopefully that has changed for the better.

I had some issues with mine initially, I found the backbone was not wired in correctly, I straightened that out and then the interface quit. Mine is a 140 Johnson (Suzuki) and it was about that time that some transition was taking place and it took a while to get the correct interface....Since than it has worked flawlessly and is my only fuel gauge. (other than my log book).

I know I had to do a hard reset on mine, but cant remember why....? or zactly what the conditions where that caused it.....might have been the backbone......I have never done a update.........?

What makes you think you need a update....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    What makes you think you need a update....?
    I had some weird issues with my gauges. Every now and then the total fuel burn numbers would go to something crazy, like 3800 gallons, when I powered on the gauges. It became a guessing game if the gauges would "remember" the fuel numbers every time we cycled the power. On a weekend trip, this made the gauges pretty useless for fuel management. The only reliable numbers were the instantaneous fuel burn, no cumulative data.

I bought a new memory module, thinking that was it issue, but the problem persisted. I contacted Lowrance, and they asked what software version I was running. My LMF200 gauges are about 2 years older than the LMF400 gauge, and they were running different software versions. The Lowrance tech support guy said to update all the gauges to the same software version and the problem should go away. We're still in the update stage, so it's a little early to tell.

Thanks for the hard resent information. I'll give it a go this weekend.