Thread: PWS deer hunt 2014. Need a place to start.

Default PWS deer hunt 2014. Need a place to start.

I'm looking to go on my first deer hunt in PWS with a few friends. We have never done this. I'm 54 in average shape but one of my friends is older and heavier with sore knees. We're looking for inexpensive, even staying at a forest service cabin, but no tents. I have heard the best time would be december because of the snows and they would be lower. I'm not looking for anybodies secret spot, just some ideas on where to go and how to get there as reasonably as possible. And when is the best time? Thanks in advance for your help.

Check out Aquatech.
    Matt Cline runs a drop off business and has a large boat named the Cathy G that you can bunk on and hunt from as well.
    Keep in mind the #'s of deer are at an all time low over the last 2 years or so, FYI.

Why PWS, have you considered Kodiak....better odds.

BK

I agree with bkmail - a boat based hunt might be better for those with an aversion to long hikes. Wouldn't bother with the cabin thing unless it came down to a money issue but the mobility and creature comforts of a boat sure are nice come late November/December. Remember, not a lot of daylight that time of year and if you have to make it to where the deer are and back to the cabin in a day that doesn't leave a lot of time for hunting. If money wasn't as much of an issue I too would plunk down for a trip to Kodiak... much much better odds. And maybe some fox hunting too!

Good luck!

Ditto on both of the above... BK, how the hell r u? Not to hijack but finally got on a computer for the next two days
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Empty your PM box.....
    BK

Anybody hunted POW Island and the Thorne Bay area?

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Empty your PM box.....
    BK
    You talkin to me? It's empty.

Talking to the whop2000.....empty your PM box.
    BK

I'de have to agree with the other posts. If you can swing it, I'de recommend taking a trip to Kodiak or even the ABC islands or Prince of Whales island in southeast, chances are you'll have much better luck in either of these locations vs. PWS. Go in November or December and if there is enough snow, you can just shoot them off the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I'de have to agree with the other posts. If you can swing it, I'de recommend taking a trip to Kodiak or even the ABC islands or Prince of Whales island in southeast, chances are you'll have much better luck in either of these locations vs. PWS. Go in November or December and if there is enough snow, you can just shoot them off the beach.
    Last year there were no deer to shoot off the beach.....even with the snow. The #'s are down, very few tracks, etc....they need a couple mild winters to recover in PWS.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Last year there were no deer to shoot off the beach.....even with the snow. The #'s are down, very few tracks, etc....they need a couple mild winters to recover in PWS.
    BK
    Yeah, I was referring to here in southeast Alaska, or Kodiak. I was recommending he go hunting to either of those places in November/December. Every year there's always plenty of deer to shoot off the beaches down here. It's not really my thing, but a good way to fill my last tag or two and top off my freezer.

Thanks for all the info guys. Now looking towards POW island. Anythingalaska, due you know anything about thorne bay lodge?

I've hunted the road between Thorne Bay and Coffman Cove. Also the road from Control Lake up to Point Baker. There's lots of hunters from Washington and Oregon around the Thorne Bay area. We got into the clearcuts and called or hit the beaches during low tide. The road comes down to the shore a couple places so we walked the beach and saw deer there.
    We saw less hunters on the Conrtol Lake to Point Baker road. The northern part of that road seemed to have the most deer.
    I've never hunted south of Craig so I can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter11769 View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. Now looking towards POW island. Anythingalaska, due you know anything about thorne bay lodge?
    I don't know anything really about hunting on POW, other than the fact that some of the biggest blacktails in the state live on the island! I'm sure they will put you on some deer. There are guides up here in northern southeast that will guide you out on some winter deer hunting, but there are bigger bucks (antlers) in southern southeast.

POW is an awesome island, and the areas that haven't been buzz cut by Seaalaska and other native corps are awesome country!

Thanks again for the info guys. Getting me in the right direction. Greatly appreciated.