Thread: Paper patching muzzle loader bullets

Default Paper patching muzzle loader bullets

Does anyone here paper patch muzzle loader bullets? I just got a .36 caliber rifle and it seems that the bore is .37. I've been using maxiballs lately, but I want to try paper patching Hornady XTP .357 bullets. Has anyone tried this? I made up some wrapped in tracing paper, and some with adhesive labels. Will this work with a hard jacket bullet or must I cast my own with virgin lead?

Can't imagine doing it with a jacketed bullet, but then again, I haven't tried it.

The folks I know who paper patch use a sizer to get the diameter just right after wrapping. Never seen a .37 bore, but I'm betting even with paper patching, it's going to be a hurky bear starting those jacketed bullets if they're wrapped thick enough to be worth a hoot for accuracy. If maxiballs are working for you, I'm betting the bore is closer to .360. Just no way one would expand enough on firing to engage the rifling in a .37 bore.

The barrel was rebored by the previous owner from .32 to .36. The maxiballs seemed loose and I wasn't getting the groups that I expected, so I stuck my calipers down the muzzle. It's measuring .37 across in the grooves. I paper patched a variety of 9mm and 38/357 bullets. If I can get the wife to watch the kids for a while, I'll try to launch them.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    The barrel was rebored by the previous owner from .32 to .36. The maxiballs seemed loose and I wasn't getting the groups that I expected, so I stuck my calipers down the muzzle. It's measuring .37 across in the grooves. I paper patched a variety of 9mm and 38/357 bullets. If I can get the wife to watch the kids for a while, I'll try to launch them.
    Wow. That's gonna be tough to match without delving into custom molds for lead. Easy to see why you're looking at pistol bullets, but I'll forecast it will be easier to get the paper going on cast. One thing to add to your thinker- I know folks that "paper patch" their conicals using plumber's teflon pipe tape. In fact they win matches doing it.

Whatever you use though, I'd sure look into a sizing die to pass them through. I know one guy who sezz he's really solved it cheaply, though I haven't tried it myself. He just bought the right size die for his lubrisizer and does his sizing there. Make sense, but like I say, I haven't tried it.