Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your "#1 Must Have" pack item

Default Whats your "#1 Must Have" pack item

With this stretch of favorable weather, and the looming opening of Cabelas, i have been digging out my gear and getting things "ready". Apart from the obvious, rifle, optics, etc. What is the one thing that you always carry along in your pack/gear that your fellow hunter may not have. (firestarter, 550 cord, etc.) or even if you have something out of the ordinary. I guess i am looking for something i may not have that i've never considered that may come in handy should a situation arise. Mine would have to be the "emergency tape" which bonds to itself. Ive used it both as bandaids, and to hold together a Polaris ranger tie-rod to get out from one excursion.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I know I would be lost without my Zebralight! The finest headlamp I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot!).

http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-I...ite_p_117.html

#1 MUST HAVE is a knife!

a silver bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    #1 MUST HAVE is a knife!
    i guess it was unfair of me to assume knife was obvious. how about a little more elaboration. i carry a set of knives of alaska, and a havalon.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

MNDan... how is battery life? Ive been thinking of upgrading headlamp

SAT phone and a garmin 62st. pretty much comes with me everywhere. zip ties are a good thing. some firestarter sticks. nothing wierd really. ususally a water filter or a small titaium pot/small stove (msr) to boil water. dental floss/spiderwire and a needle in case of emergeny stiches or at least a pack of steri-strips.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It seems that forgetting to bring an important item just once helps you to remember it on subsequent trips! It's been a lot of years since I forgot to bring eating utensils on a week long trip...or a sleeping bag for each member of the crew...or a moose tag even though we were caribou hunting.

My for real must haves are a map of the area I am in with a compass, first aid kit, extra TP, and extra water purification tablets.
    GPS is great until it fails. The map and compass shouldn't fail you. Extra water tablets are always in my pack as emergency.

Other than those four items I pack accordingly for my trip.

Knife sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Wet wipes

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Dry socks. And a beer.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Toilet paper. Cheapest item to put in the pack but worth $$$$$$ money if you forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Dry socks. And a beer.
    yep, brand new never worn socks in a zip-loc, to be saved for emergency morale boosting. I prefer a fine single malt (weighs less), but the idea is the same.
    Funny how I think "map and compass" , and others think "sat phone and GPS" ... Wonder if it's an age thing?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

saltine crackers. If I'm going to drown hunting one of Alaska's rivers, i want to be real thirsty when I do.

Quality coffee and a quality beer/bourbon depending on weight allowance. All of the other stuff seems pretty mandatory to me - knives, communication, navigation, and the like. It's the small creature comforts that are so nice to have, but not really necessary. There is nowhere on earth that coffee tastes better than at the base of the mountains with no sign of man in sight.

I go back and forth on our French press all the time. So much super light gear and I lug a French press and half lb of coffee. The newer Starbucks via packs are so much lighter, but it's just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    I go back and forth on our French press all the time. So much super light gear and I lug a French press and half lb of coffee. The newer Starbucks via packs are so much lighter, but it's just not the same.
    Agreed. On sheep hunts its usually the Via packs, but on most other hunts we bring our Jetboil french press.

Good well broken in boots. Best Quality.
    Good high quality socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There is nowhere on earth that coffee tastes better than at the base of the mountains with no sign of man in sight.
    Maybe one place... The top of the mountain

For me it's also coffee or bullion cubes in a pocket or a book for weather days so I don't have to read tags and count squares

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast