Thread: 28' Kingfisher

Default 28' Kingfisher

My hunting partner is making the plunge with a new to him boat and he likes the kingfisher. By all accounts it looks to be a very sweet boat. Then a coworker of ours was saying that they do not handle the water very well and are bow heavy. Is there anyone who can speak to this?
    Thanks
    Will

A friend of mine in Fairbanks had a new Kingfisher in 2009 and fished PWS a lot in it. He loved it and it looked to me like it handled very well and appeared well-built. But, I was looking at them at the Seattle Boat Show in January, and someone pointed out to me that the top and hull were welded together under the gunnell, and that the welding was poor and there were gaps where saltwater could get in. Made me suspect of other hidden flaws, I looked and did see those gaps and this was in a new display boat!! Would suggest your friend check that out on the boat he is looking at and look under the floorboards for subsequent corrosion.

From past posts on the forum, it appears that every Kingfisher owner likes their boat and I've never seen any complaints of handling. Bow heavy might be a matter of sizing the outboards correctly or maybe someone didn't load it well. My Hewescraft is slightly bow heavy when empty, but perfect with people onboard and some gear on the back deck. My fuel tank balances well when full or near empty. Maybe this is not true on a Kingfisher??

Here's a 30ft for sale. Seems like a decent deal given the hours but I know nothing about Kingfisher boats. I'd also be curious what owners have to say though as my wife and I are considering stepping up to something with more room.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/4398657900.html

I got a new 30 footer last year in June. I love the boat. I handles very good in the weather with a 3 to 4 foot chop I don't even slow down. Put the bow down a bit and she just plows through. We had it out in some bigger seas this winter that I would of been in trouble in my 21 foot North River that I sold and it was very comfortable in the 30 footer. If he likes the Kingfisher I think he will be very happy with it. What does it have for power?

I'm having a hard time believing the fuel burn #'s. Must be for each motor for a total of 10-14 GPH @ cruise......

BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'm having a hard time believing the fuel burn #'s. Must be for each motor for a total of 10-14 GPH @ cruise......

BK
    yes, I agree!.... my18 foot tin boat with merc 40 hp(jet) at 20 mph burned about 5 gallons/hr if I remember right?

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

For some reason I've noticed people stretch the numbers when it comes to fuel burn. It's just like in cars and trucks. I've never seen anywhere near the mileage that is regularly reported in my cars/trucks or in my boats. Both the dealers/manufacturers do this as well as private parties. Just look at the performance reports. In many cases it's a very lightly loaded boat and isn't reflective at all of the conditions in which most of us boat. I take them with a grain of salt but it's too bad as it sure would be nice to see some real world numbers.

Anyway, anyone with experience or thoughts on Kingfisher boats?

Recently sold my 2825 KingFisher. It was a great boat. It handles unruly seas very well. The boat will handle big seas much better than the folks inside. Mine was slightly aft heavy if anything. Welds were never an issue.
    You won't be disappointed with the KingFisher. We loved ours.

All very good information. Thanks I will pass it along
    will

I have the smaller Kingfisher 2525 and it's great - have had it for 6 years. Agree, the boat will handle a lot more than I am willing to take - Have been in 7 foot seas and no problem, just take it slow. Fit and finish is nice. Have a single 225 honda with 9.9 kicker, burn about 9 to 10 gal/hr. in good water at 28 to 30mph. Welds are very good.

Our 2825 with twin Honda 150's gets two miles per gallon at 28 mph give or take 2 mph. Wide open at 6k RPM it burns 25 gallons an hour and runs about 35-38 mph. Handles rough water good and way better than the people in the boat and we like it. I have been deep inside the boat and have not seen anything with the hull or cabin that worried me. There are some issues with the painted hull but most of that was from the install of accessories by the previous owner. Stainless hardware is good but a little silicone to keep the dissimilar metals from each other was a concept beyond him.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson