Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks highway basics?

Default Parks highway basics?

So it's snowing like crazy here in MN., our worst winter since god-knows-when
    So it's a good day to do some AK research...
    Over the years, I've made 6 trips, all to the KP, so I'm good there...well, as good as I need to be. This year we're finally heading up to Denali, and while it'll be early June and not much fishing planned up that way, I'd like to know more about the rivers up there.
    Deshka, Montana, Little Su...all river names I've heard thrown around, but I know little about them, which salmon run when, how road access, etc..
    I know it's a lot, so if you just have a favorite river or salmon run, that would be cool too. I know kings are way down, and have no desire to chase them (until they come back anyway) so info on traditional runs for them are of great interest too.thanks in advance

So if anyone sitting around and feels like doing some writing, I'd like to learn. Obviously not specific spots, just general info that's better than the general "fish calandars" the websites love to post.

In August I fish silvers from Sunshine Creek down to Willow creek. It's not action packed all the time, and the fish run small compared to what you'll find in Valdez, Seward or the Kenai. You will have the same crowds on the weekend though! You can catch pinks all day, and you can always hook into chums at Montana if your just looking for some fun. If your up for a real adventure, and don't care much about bringing back a ton of fish, fish the interior! There's some cheap flyouts out of fairbanks, or you could rent a truck and fish the Sag on the north slope. Ill be on the Yukon this August, rather fish pike than those Matsu minnows.

Early June you will find restrictions as to where you can fish on individual rivers. Some areas are closed to all fishing. Resident species will be present and maybe some early pinks. Use the search function as this topic has been discussed here in the past. Read the regs closely, multiple times. Check out the alaska highway angler book. Also check back here closer to your trip. If you ask for a report just prior to heading up the parks highway you may get up to date and more accurate info. Best of luck on your 2014 ak trip! Oh go whitewater rafting through the Nenana canyon while in the Denali national park area. Several good outfitters are available.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks for the replys guys. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of the highway angler.
    And we plan to add a WW rafting trip this year, either the Nenana canyon, or 6 mile in Hope (class 4 section only). Anyone done doth...suggestions?

So I see the same guy has written "the highway angler" and 'the roadside angler". Seeing as they aren't exactly giving them away, is one better than the other? Seems like they both cover SC...whats the difference?

Highly recommend the roadside angler. My go to Alaska fishing book. Highway angler covers about every bit of water that you can fish in Alaska from the road but is not very detailed on each river. The Roadside Angler breaks down the major fisheries for Anchorage, Kenai, Mat Su and Glennallen/Valdez in very detailed information for each specific species.

perfect, that's just what I wanted to know, thanks

Parks Hwy in early June will have good rainbow fishing both up and downstream of the Parks, but watch the closed waters. All streams are divided by the Parks Hwy, with fishing upstream of the Parks open all week to fishing, but no salmon fishing, and downstream open the first part of the month, then going to weekends only for all species. Willow and Montana will be hook and release, single hook, no bait for all species. Little Su will be only road accessible river open to king retention. Pinks won't start showing till early July, not June. Read your regs very carefully, and look at the fish and game web site for current emergency regulations regarding openers and closures.

What type of flies are used to catch the bows in early June? I used to concentrate June for kings out in the valley but now why bother. So I would like to learn how to catch the bows instead.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Think smolts. Fly profile and color are important- pink smolts are the smallest, then coho, chum and Chinook smolts will also be leaving the creeks. Pinks run about an inch, the others up to 3 inches. Egg and flesh patterns always work, too, as do the big uglies; dolly Llama, woolhead sculpin, etc. Jansens minnows work great when smolts are actively leaving the creeks, as do thunder creeks. Sparse is usually very good. Fish hitting the surface a lot in late evening, early morning? Put on a smolt with a greased line or indicator 2 feet away. Fish are rising to smolts, not flies. the big outmigrations happen in the night, but smolts are still in the holes and holding waters in daytime, so fished deep during the day can be very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Think smolts. Fly profile and color are important- pink smolts are the smallest, then coho, chum and Chinook smolts will also be leaving the creeks. Pinks run about an inch, the others up to 3 inches. Egg and flesh patterns always work, too, as do the big uglies; dolly Llama, woolhead sculpin, etc. Jansens minnows work great when smolts are actively leaving the creeks, as do thunder creeks. Sparse is usually very good. Fish hitting the surface a lot in late evening, early morning? Put on a smolt with a greased line or indicator 2 feet away. Fish are rising to smolts, not flies. the big outmigrations happen in the night, but smolts are still in the holes and holding waters in daytime, so fished deep during the day can be very effective.
    Willphish4food is spot on. Pretty much everything works that time of year eggs, flesh, nymphs, streamers etc. I do very well using epoxy fry patterns that I make. These do very well in the early mornings and late evenings to coincide with the outmigrations. The cool thing about epoxy fry patterns is that you can catch 100 fish on them and they don't fall apart.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

But at 101 they self destruct. Which is only fair.

Well I have never caught 100 fish one epoxy smolt pattern………..mine usually die after about 10. Eyes are gone the, tail is missing, hook is bent……..yeah maybe I am doing something wrong…..

The dolly llama is always my go to pattern if I'm not having luck on anything, either in black or olive and white. If you're spending time around Denali you should think about trying some of the Denali Hwy streams which aren't too far from the Parks Hwy for grayling, such as the Brushkana. The Brushkana can still be high that time of year from the runoff, so be prepared for varying water depth and clarity. If it's high and muddy, try minnow or leach patterns like muddlers and hairy buggers. If it's low and clear, you can throw all manners of dries and the grayling will rise (Elk-hair caddis, Griffith's gnats, and Adams Irresistibles are my favorites).

Quote Originally Posted by go_cubbies22 View Post
    Highly recommend the roadside angler. My go to Alaska fishing book. Highway angler covers about every bit of water that you can fish in Alaska from the road but is not very detailed on each river. The Roadside Angler breaks down the major fisheries for Anchorage, Kenai, Mat Su and Glennallen/Valdez in very detailed information for each specific species.
    I looked on Amazon last night and the newest version of the Roadside Angler is 2007...

Do you recommend that over the new 2014 edition of the Highway Angler???

Thanks!

DA

Default Out of Print

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    I looked on Amazon last night and the newest version of the Roadside Angler is 2007...

Do you recommend that over the new 2014 edition of the Highway Angler???

Thanks!

DA
    The former title is out of print. We have the latter in our store.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I just got my copy of the Roadside angler in the mail today! Used, thru Amazon, 50 bucks...twice the cover price. I'm just going to start looking at it

Default Highway Angler versus Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide

Just a few more logs to toss on the fire here.

1. As far as I am aware, there is no 2014 edition of the Highway Angler. The current edition is #6 and carries a 2012 copyright. That's the one we carry in the store, for $19.95, AT THIS LINK.

2. This topic comes up occasionally and you can find another thread on it AT THIS LINK. That thread was from 2007. Some of the same points being made then. From an angler's perspective, the general consensus seems to be that the Highway Angler is a better work, because it contains a much more comprehensive list of rivers and streams. It's a smaller format too, making it easier to toss in the console of your rig for those road trips. It lacks local accommodation information, however you're better off with a current copy of The Alaska Milepost for that anyway, if you don't know that information. Yes, we carry the Milepost too, for the discounted price of $29.95 (retail price has climbed to $34.95 this year, but we stuck to last year's pricing).

3. Both books were written by the same author. The older book, the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide, was illustrated by Joe Nedland but written by Gunnar Pedersen, the author of the Highway Angler.

4. A used copy of the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide will cost you twice what a new copy of the Highway Angler costs, according to Amazon. I saw used copies there for $49.95.

5. Gunnar wrote another book on fishing the Kenai River, but it's also out of print.

6. Gunnar co-authored "Alaska Fishing:The Ultimate Guide" with René Limeres and in my opinion it's probably the best book on fishing Alaska ever written. We also carry that title in the store here on the site.

We make a sincere effort to keep and maintain the largest online collection of books, DVDs and maps focused on the Alaska outdoors. We retire out of print titles (you can find several close-outs in the store right now, and we add new stuff as it comes out. If anyone knows of something you think we should carry, by all means let Icebear or myself know and we'll give it a look.

The bottom line for me is that you can spend almost 40% more for a used, out of print book or purchase an updated book by the same author, that covers more areas. It comes down to personal preference, I know. But that's what you end up with in the end.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Just a few more logs to toss on the fire here.

1. As far as I am aware, there is no 2014 edition of the Highway Angler. The current edition is #6 and carries a 2012 copyright. That's the one we carry in the store, for $19.95, AT THIS LINK.

2. This topic comes up occasionally and you can find another thread on it AT THIS LINK. That thread was from 2007. Some of the same points being made then. From an angler's perspective, the general consensus seems to be that the Highway Angler is a better work, because it contains a much more comprehensive list of rivers and streams. It's a smaller format too, making it easier to toss in the console of your rig for those road trips. It lacks local accommodation information, however you're better off with a current copy of The Alaska Milepost for that anyway, if you don't know that information. Yes, we carry the Milepost too, for the discounted price of $29.95 (retail price has climbed to $34.95 this year, but we stuck to last year's pricing).

3. Both books were written by the same author. The older book, the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide, was illustrated by Joe Nedland but written by Gunnar Pedersen, the author of the Highway Angler.

4. A used copy of the Alaska Roadside Angler's Guide will cost you twice what a new copy of the Highway Angler costs, according to Amazon. I saw used copies there for $49.95.

5. Gunnar wrote another book on fishing the Kenai River, but it's also out of print.

6. Gunnar co-authored "Alaska Fishing:The Ultimate Guide" with René Limeres and in my opinion it's probably the best book on fishing Alaska ever written. We also carry that title in the store here on the site.

We make a sincere effort to keep and maintain the largest online collection of books, DVDs and maps focused on the Alaska outdoors. We retire out of print titles (you can find several close-outs in the store right now, and we add new stuff as it comes out. If anyone knows of something you think we should carry, by all means let Icebear or myself know and we'll give it a look.

The bottom line for me is that you can spend almost 40% more for a used, out of print book or purchase an updated book by the same author, that covers more areas. It comes down to personal preference, I know. But that's what you end up with in the end.

Regards,

-Mike
    Thanks for the info...
    I will probably buy your Highway Angler here in the next couple days.
    DA

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Well I have never caught 100 fish one epoxy smolt pattern………..mine usually die after about 10. Eyes are gone the, tail is missing, hook is bent……..yeah maybe I am doing something wrong…..
    Must be using that chinese epoxy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast