Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 bathing in 30# OIL 3 Years GAS TUBE QUESTION........????

Default AR-15 bathing in 30# OIL 3 Years GAS TUBE QUESTION........????

I have recovered some firearms that were submerged in virgin 30 Wt. motor oil for the last three years.

PLEASE READ THIS PART: I do NOT want to thoroughly clean them........I only want to simulate recovering them with NO gasoline or diesel fuel to flush the Gas tube.

They have been hanging in the sun for three days to drain the oil. I will most likely allow them a full ten days to drain. The buffer, buffer spring & plastic butt-stock were stored separately not in oil bath. The Handguard is metal and was submerged.

QUESTION: Anything I should be aware of before discharging a cartridge.....??? My only know concern is air lock holding oil in gas tube. However wondering if there is some factor I am not aware of......

They will go back into the oil bath after this test.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have recovered some firearms that were submerged in virgin 30 Wt. motor oil for the last three years.

PLEASE READ THIS PART: I do NOT want to thoroughly clean them........I only want to simulate recovering them with NO gasoline or diesel fuel to flush the Gas tube.

They have been hanging in the sun for three days to drain the oil. I will most likely allow them a full ten days to drain. The buffer, buffer spring & plastic butt-stock were stored separately not in oil bath. The Handguard is metal and was submerged.

QUESTION: Anything I should be aware of before discharging a cartridge.....??? My only know concern is air lock holding oil in gas tube. However wondering if there is some factor I am not aware of......

They will go back into the oil bath after this test.

Side track question: What is the purpose of storing in the 30# oil? Is it to stop rust? Is there an advantage of using oil for storage vs using grease?

YES to stop rust. In a post SHTF environment if one was compelled to abandon their remote or rural retreat and move deeper back to one of several pre-stocked fall'back positions with caches of supplies. The grease would be even harder or most likely impossible to remove in the winter.

I am now thinking that if the barrel was lightly & slowly heated over a fire then banged on a stump or piece of wood that should clear the gas tube of any air lock, the muzzle brake would protect the crown. An other idea put forward on the 6.8 SPC Forum was to include a can of compressed air......maybe brake cleaner or either fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Side track question: What is the purpose of storing in the 30# oil? Is it to stop rust? Is there an advantage of using oil for storage vs using grease?

Thanks. That does make sense. Especially up here.

The gas tube should be clear and dry metal. No lubes, no solvents. Otherwise, it will collect gunk.

Grant Cunningham has a great write up about this...

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_...intenance.html
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GUNK will be the very least of the problems I anticipate.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    The gas tube should be clear and dry metal. No lubes, no solvents. Otherwise, it will collect gunk.

Grant Cunningham has a great write up about this...

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_...intenance.html

GUNK will be the very least of the problems I anticipate.
    His point is that residual oil coating on the gas tube is going to cause accumulation of powder and carbon, probably rather quickly and cause malfunction.

I suspect storing some pipe cleaners in a ziplock or three, taped to your barrel might be useful.

To clear the tube, I would use both brake cleaner and compressed air. If I couldn't do that, I would unpin it, and manually clean it out.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

If you're taking the time to set-up a SHTF stash, you could include an ammo can with various tools and cleaners to do it. Compressed air, brake cleaner, and even a small AR tool kit with some wrenches and parts. If the S really does HTF, you would probably want a small bag of spare parts more prone to failure. Like springs and pins etc. Just a thought that occurred to me.

Figure too have 9 spare AR-15's For Parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    If you're taking the time to set-up a SHTF stash, you could include an ammo can with various tools and cleaners to do it. Compressed air, brake cleaner, and even a small AR tool kit with some wrenches and parts. If the S really does HTF, you would probably want a small bag of spare parts more prone to failure. Like springs and pins etc. Just a thought that occurred to me.

I get That........BUT if your being chased, one might want to deal with priorities first.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    His point is that residual oil coating on the gas tube is going to cause accumulation of powder and carbon, probably rather quickly and cause malfunction.

I suspect storing some pipe cleaners in a ziplock or three, taped to your barrel might be useful.

So do I understand that a clean Gas Tube is the only serious issue. Plus run snake down the bore.......and get to work hauling'arss up to Slate Creek.

IF your gonna do all that, I'd throw in a ham.

Cause your not gonna want to spend all that time cleaning your weapon and then have to engage in a fight on an empty stomach.

Seriously though, wouldn't there be a less invasive rust preventative than a vat of motor oil? Say vacuum sealing in multiple layers or a waterproof pelican case? For a guy in his middle or late life, its not like you really need a thirty year "cache life"....

All 32 Team Members are not 67 y/o, Some children of adult team Members are still in school. And the firearms may well be cached for 20 or 40 years. There are 27 canned hams in several of the caches.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

Cause your not gonna want to spend all that time cleaning your weapon and then have to engage in a fight on an empty stomach.

Seriously though, wouldn't there be a less invasive rust preventative than a vat of motor oil? Say vacuum sealing in multiple layers or a waterproof pelican case? For a guy in his middle or late life, its not like you really need a thirty year "cache life"....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

PVC pipe with descant packs and purged with an inert gas. Double vacuum sealed with descant packs should do 30 years easy. Lots of stuff should be better than oil . . . And cheaper at today's prices.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Want to BUY me a vacuum sealer...? Also 8" Dia. PVC pipe is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    PVC pipe with descant packs and purged with an inert gas. Double vacuum sealed with descant packs should do 30 years easy. Lots of stuff should be better than oil . . . And cheaper at today's prices.

Want to BUY me a vacuum sealer...? Also 8" Dia. PVC pipe is not cheap.
    Ha ha ha... I don't imagine a drum of oil is either...

On a serious note though, I believe Brownell's, maybe others, sell some heavy duty ziplock type conatiners made for firearms storage. What if you put the ARs in that and then the oil bath, that way if they bags do leak, they are in oil, if they don't, you don't have to worry about cleaning them?

Time to stash a piston gun.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

YEP, I will stash the SIG SAUER P55.6 (Pistol)

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Time to stash a piston gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast