Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 52-2

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Smith & Wesson Model 52-2

4-3-2014 1198.jpgAnybody have experience with these? I just picked one up yesterday and am kind of excited about it as I know they were the hot thing in Bullseye Shooting from the 70's thru the 90's. It only shoots 38 special midrange wad cutters seated flush with the case mouth, so I will need a wad cutter mold if I'm going to shoot it. Any guesses as to what it might be worth? I've check Gunbroker and they seem to be priced high enough that nobody is willing to bid on them...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Active market prices are around 700 to 800. Its a pretty narrow market.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Active market prices are around 700 to 800. Its a pretty narrow market.
    What gunbugs said is right on both price and interest. People are either having a fit to find that particular S&W or you cannot give one to them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I shot one back when spears were new as a member of an Air Force Pistol Team. Good gun that shot very well and needed to be clean to function properly.... 2.8 grs of Bullseye and double ended 148 gr wad cutters always worked for me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I did a lot of shooting with one in college that belonged to the father of a friend. Tremendously accurate pistol.

The .38WC was perfect for our indoor range without a lot of boom and blast like my Dan Wesson .357 Target and was WAY more accurate than my Smith M67. Comparing one to the average 1911 of that day was a total apples to horse apple comparison too.

Dang....that brings back a memory or two!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

interesting stuff, thanks Guys. Still haven't decided if I want to keep it or sell it. Might just have to order a wad cutter mould and try it out..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I owned and shot one during my bullseye days. Best in the market! If you're going to reload for this gun, seat your WCs just a bit out front of the case(not flush) the soft lead(I shot swagged pure lead bullets, not cast) helps with chambering rounds. BE about 2.7 grains was my choice for loads IIRC.
    Steve

I was around a few back in the 70s and I remember 2 things 1. they are brutally accurate 2. They are finiky about the particular wadcutter they will digest and about seating depth. I have always wanted one but not at the price they usually bring.