Thread: Food comparison..? Hunt trip/or prepper.

Default Food comparison..? Hunt trip/or prepper.

Just wondering if anyone here has found a comparison website for the different foods I.E. Mountainhouse, Backpackers,Rockymountain, AlpineAire. Considering taste, cost vs quality or calories etc.

If you have personal knowledge of the ones that you have tried please share it but please don't just say " I like Mountain House", justify your comments.

I know that it's been discussed before but it's been a while and just wanted to see if there was anything new out there.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

All of the top brands are comparable in quality. Taste is subjective. Prices are expensive. You need to spend your money on what looks good in the ingredients and quantity dept., find out what you like and then buy in quantity to get the price down. I use about 6-8 dif meals that I like, I buy the two person meals and eat them as one meal. Use Mountainhouse most, Backpackers next, AlpineAire third. You seem to be able to get Mountainhouse cheaper up North by buying large quantity on sale. I generally eat my own concoctions for breakfast and snacks. Mountainhouse makes a good blueberry granola cereal though.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've compared nutrition labels of a few similar items at sportsmans warehouse and rei. The caloric value to weight ratio was my primary concern, and most of the dehydrated food was similar.

If you want mountainhouse at a value, buy it when Marc Taylor puts in his bulk order, or buy a 10 serving can and split it up into ziploc bags. I think I shaved 10oz. out of each pack when eliminating most of the foil packages for a sheep hunt.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I use Mountainhouse because it is readily available & it taste good to me. On another note, when I'm sheep or goat hunting, some of my meals consist of 2 packages of some type of Ramen & a small foil pack of tuna for a meal. It is cheap & light & tastes good. In prepping, I crush the 2 packs of Ramen, then I put that in a ziplock. When it's meal time, I add the tuna & hot water with the ramen. Have a good huntin' season.

I use Mountain House quite frequently. There is another brand that I use as well, but I am not sure of it. I found this one at REI and though it was a little more expensive, it also offered a reduced sodium option, which is why I chose it.

Of all the dehydrated meals, I can not taste a difference. I pick my meals based off what I think might taste good. If it's good I buy it again. If not, I skip it. Most of the breakfast meals taste like crap to me, but the three berry cobbler rocks.

One thing I have just started doing is making my own meals. I have started experimenting with dehydrating my own stuff. So far so good.

I used to repackage the meals, but got away from that as well. I carry a jet boil cooking system and I found the foil packaging can double as my bowl.

I have started buying the 72 hour emergency kit from mountain house for sheep hunting. The only reason is that the packets are one serving rather than two for the regular size. They also pack down a little smaller. Last year I brought two with me for ten days. I think there are six dinners three breakfasts and three veggies. The vacuum packed ones are 1 1/2 servings. Tekla

We use Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry.

I dont care for Wise. Now I eat a Cliff Bar.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Natural High brand makes several varieties of enchiladas (chicken, beef and cheese I believe) and all of them are excellent. They even come with a little packet of cheese and another of corn chips to stir in after it's rehydrated. We eat a lot of MH also, but the natural high enchiladas are probably the favorite dehydrated meal in our rotation.

When I first came to AK I tried lots of different brands and liked MH the best. Some brands required you to cook the meal in a sauce pan. I don't do dishes, I don't cook, I just boil water. Add 2 cups of boiling water to 99% of MH and you are good to go. One MH a day does the trick. I know some guys that remove MH meals from their foil pouches and vacuum pack them to reduce bulk. They take one MH foil container and then reuse it for the entire hunt.