Thread: Goats in August

Default Goats in August

Having drawn a late season sheep tag, I am somewhat forced to use my goat tag in August. How do shoulder mounts look from August goats? I really haven't seen any that I know to be taken that early, but I'm sure there are some out there. It's not the most important thing, but if I'm lucky enough to take one, I don't want to waste my money on a mount if it doesn't look right. I could go in October, but getting in my area in October could prove very problematic.

different, they look different. not my cup of tea, but some might find it tasty.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was talking about August goats with a friend yesterday. He took one in August a few years back and claims that it was great tasting meat, a claim that you don't hear too often when goats are the quarry.

As for trophy quality, do you assume that this is the only goat you'll ever take? If so, it might be worth waiting for a better cape, but if not you can always get a nicer one later on. (I know that there are no guarantees on this, but consider how many good goat hunting years you have in you and whether you'll do any late-season (November) registration hunts in the future.) Personally, I really like european skull mounts for goats. If you're set on a shoulder mount, you could also look at buying a cape from a taxidermist.

You also need to consider your odds of success. Late-season goats have nicer capes, but the weather can be miserable and I know of many people that have waited until the end of the season specifically for a good cape only to be weathered out. If you're unsuccessful at the end, well...that's it. If you're unsuccessful in August, though, you can always look at trying again later. Putting all your eggs into the late season basket can be a risky proposition.

On a side note, I am insanely jealous. A goat tag and a sheep tag in the same year? Ridiculous!

Default Late season goats

I shot a really nice billy Oct 30 several years ago on Kodiak and had a 1/2 body mount b/o the awesome cape at that time of the year - the pantaloons and beard are super puffy. That being said I have been weathered out of approx 12 out of 15 planned hunts b/o adverse weather and the air taxi wouldn't fly. I always plan on hunting the last week of the season. Good luck.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

As a teacher, I am often forced to hunt in August before school starts. 3 years ago, I killed a nice billy on Kodiak on the 20th of August- I was sceptical about a shoulder mount until I got it back from the taxidermist. I think it looks fabulous- obviously it doesn't have the hair that an october goat would, but it still has great character and the 10" horns look even bigger!!

Default Pictures

Do you have any pictures you could post of the mount?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Goats

Goat hunting should only take place in Oct/Nov! Most goat hunters are going for a trophy not the meat. Much like comparing a Aug sheep to a Sept sheep, there is a big difference.

I can not understand why someone would want a summer goat. I suppose if one already has a wonderful, full thick winter goat hanging on their wall and would like to show the difference between what a good winters mount looks like compared to a crappy summer goat then they should get an Aug goat.

It is up the Department of Commercial Fish and Fish to change the hunting times/dates for goat hunts. I hunted the Lake George area for years. It was a draw only area and since I don't have much luck in the drawing program I had to wait and go via registration after Oct 15th. It is no longer a draw and hunters are killing the quota by the first part of Sept.

I can't understand why? I understand that most of the hunting pressure in this area are from guides and their clients. I feel sorry for them since they spent all this $$$ and have a half-ass mount.

I also believe sheep hunting should only be in Sept. This way you have to pick between moose or sheep. Most will take moose and this will free up more areas for someone like me that likes to hunt sheep.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I happen to really like the way my August Goat turned out. Personal preference on hunting seasons for trophy capes shouldn't be a basis for policy making. As a teacher, I love having summers off- but that doesn't allow for a lot of hunting time in Sept., Oct. and November. Because of this, my best chance for a Goat was in August. And for what its worth, last year I killed my Sheep on August 10th and my Moose on Sept. 5th- and I loved being able to hunt both.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Goat hunting should only take place in Oct/Nov! Most goat hunters are going for a trophy not the meat.
    Not so sure about that. I haven't taken a goat yet (though I've tried), but I would be more than happy to take one in August. I love goat burger, and don't desire to have a goat shoulder mount. I'd like to keep the skull for a european display, but I'd probably just sell the cape if I took a late season billie. My primary motivation in goat hunting is to get some meat while being in the rugged mountains, similar to my motivation for sheep hunting. August meat is often the best there is!

Default goat shoulder mount

You don't want a goat shoulder mount? What's wrong with you?

blackfoot, if you want to see what a goat looks like in August, go in Fairbanks Sportsmans Warehouse, and when you first walk in look back above your head and look at that goat mount, its a half mount and it looks like he went to the dog groomer, picture a goat with a sheep hide...I'm sure many of you all have seen it...K

Default their loss

Goat hunting should only take place in Oct/Nov! Most goat hunters are going for a trophy not the meat.
    Goats make good burger and excellent stew meat. As with anything I hunt, the experience and the meat are most important. If I end up with a trophy as well, thats a bonus.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice all. I have changed my plans to go after my sheep hunt, so will be hunting the first week in October. The trophy quality wasn't the deciding factor, but that will be a bonus if I'm lucky enough to get something.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I also believe sheep hunting should only be in Sept. This way you have to pick between moose or sheep. Most will take moose and this will free up more areas for someone like me that likes to hunt sheep.
    Nope, just means I'd have to take more leave without pay! As a teacher I like have hunting options in August. There wouldn't be much to hunt without sheep in August, it would just put more pressure on the Fortymile caribou herd, unless a guy could afford to fly out every year.

Tim