Thread: DB261 East Afognak brown bear hunt

Default DB261 East Afognak brown bear hunt

It looks like I am headed to East Afognak this fall (Oct 26-Nov 2). My wife drew a brown bear tag, so I guess I get to do all the work and hopefully watch her fulfill a lifelong dream of mine... LOL. Seriously though I am putting this out to try and get all of the advice I can about this area. I have never set foot on this island and I am doing the best I can to plan every bit of this hunt, which is tricky with all the moving parts and the crazy land use fees. So I guess here is my main questions.

1. Best strategy for this terrain? Put on the boots and walk hoping to cut a trail or is there areas that are worth spotting and stalking from.

2. Is the odds of getting a bear in the state park area worth staying out of native lands... if so where?

3. If I have to go on native lands, any advice on which area is likely to be the most productive?

4. Bear patterns of life at this time... are they hanging by rivers or moving to higher terrain?

5. Weather?

6. Bugs? Do I need a thermacell strapped to each leg and each arm at this time of year?

I am open to any advice that any of you that have experience with the island are willing to share. The only thing I don't want to talk about is calibers. That is always a can of worms. My wife carries a big gun and mine is even bigger.

Let me know if any of you out there will be on the island during this time, it is always good to have friends around when you are way off the beaten path. I guess that is all I can think of right now, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer this.

Annnddddd.... GO

we hunted west side last year. bugs were not a big deal and we camped right on a lake, getting high and glassing proved to work for us rather than hiking all over and spreading scent. we glassed, spotted one and waited for it to bed down, marked the location and headed out...or watched it long enough to plan an interception location. we hunted entirely public land with good success, and saw about half of our bears up high, and the rest down in the valleys. weather, as always on Kodiak/Afognak that time of year was anything and everything from beautiful and clear, to blowing 50, rain, snow, you name it. i would recommend calling the biologist in kodiak with area specific info, as this is an area that was very hard to research due to the lack of hunting pressure. we flew andrew air, they are always good to us. hope this helps.

I have hunted this area before with excellent luck, Laura lake is where you want Dean (Andrew Air) to drop you in. Also you should get online and reserve the cabin on the north end of Laura lake. Get your registration Elk tag as well. If you can PM me I can fill you in with some in-depth details to make it a successful hunt. if the pm doesn't work here in my email…..oneskyaviation@acsalaska.net

I am not trying to jump this thread, but I was curious if anyone has hunted around Laura Lake area for spring BB? I have a DB292 tag for spring of 15, and I am just attempting to get the most info I can.

Thx.

Its tough hunting in the spring around Laura Lake, you need some south facing hills to where you can glass and watch. The yogis won't be visiting the lake until the salmon start running.

Here's a tip I just thought of. Andrew Air and Island Air frequent our bay quite often. They always call on the phone or the radio before they come or while the're enroute. They have contact info to every place they deliver to. I'd call both of them and ask for contact names and numbers for camps, sites or people close to where you want to hunt. They can keep you abreast of the bears sightings, snow level, etc. close to where they are.

Use a boat and hunt the beaches. Sand fleas and dead marine critters/debris is the best food source in the spring. Glass and visit the beaches and look for recent activity and tracks to focus your efforts in an area with activity.

Thanks for all the responses so far. You guys have given me some things to think about while I am trying to research the areas. I guess the biggest debate for me right now is trying to decide if I will pay the land use fees or just try to stay on public land. I have my wife, plus my dad is flying in just to accompany us on this hunt. On top of that you never know with the draws, so we are treating this like a lifetime hunt. Obviously there is a lot of pressure to pick the right place.