Thread: Auto Trim Tabs

Default Auto Trim Tabs

Does anyone use these on there jet boats and if so can I get some feedback? I was thinking of getting a set made by Nauticus with the Pro Troller mount. I am not correcting any issues really. Just get on step faster and maybe with the trolling option to slow my jet down if I was trolling for silvers out in Seward or something along that.
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

I run them on my 18' inflatable and by far best money spent out of any upgrade I've done. Getting on plane is much quicker and no stabilty issues at any speed. After getting on plane at about 15mph I can throttle back and still stay on plane at 8mph! Gets on plane a ton quicker than without. I have the pro troll brackets run upside down so the pull up flush with the bottom of the boat so I don't wipe them out on my trailer although they are designed to push up flat if you mount them according to the instructions. Money well spent and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Thank you for the input really appreciate it. Nice to hear from someone that has something you are looking to try for some real feed back.
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

I installed a pair on my prop driven Harvey. Pretty much the same story as AKBroncoII. I'm pleased. WOT speed increased right at 5mph to approx 38mph. Did an adjustment to the starboard side and will have to wait until next trip to see if it helps or not. Due to the large radius at the hull/transom juncture, I had to mount the hinge almost a 1/2" higher than instructions suggest so the bottom row of screws had good purchase. I also got the pro troll kit as at idle, I was previously 3mph...now 1.5.

I had a set on my 20' jetboat. Ben, at Silver Streak recommended that I take them off for safety reasons. He warned that if one broke, it would shoot the boat in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I had a set on my 20' jetboat. Ben, at Silver Streak recommended that I take them off for safety reasons. He warned that if one broke, it would shoot the boat in the other direction.
    A point worth consideration. I've read many reviews on them, but none regarding failure. I suppose the same thing could suggested about any trim tab system, electric and/or hydro included. If something failed where you lost all control of them or just on one side, you pretty much have the same kettle of fish. In fact, prior to this installation, if my hand slipped off the wheel at higher power settings, I'm instantly into a hard 90 to starboard, anyway, with no tabs at all. So, I'd think it boils down to being a reactive helmsman when it all goes south. That said, I think I'll head out to Big Lake where I can easily launch and retrieve multiple times and remove them one at a time (takes less than 5 minutes to remove) and report back resulting handling issues. Glad you brought it up, Lynx.

Got a set on my boat as well. They do work very well and are quite cost effective.

I had an issue with my starboard tab this summer when my anchor dragged. I broke the pivot bolt that connects the shock to the tab.
    I had to drive 8 miles back to the launch at the end of the weekend and had little to no pull with just the one tab. The port side did ride higher in the water but it was not any more difficult to control.

"I had an issue with my starboard tab this summer when my anchor dragged. I broke the pivot bolt that connects the shock to the tab.
    I had to drive 8 miles back to the launch at the end of the weekend and had little to no pull with just the one tab. The port side did ride higher in the water but it was not any more difficult to control."

Thanks for posting that intel, DRIFTER...pretty much how I figured it would be in that sort of situation. If needed, any excess weight...coolers, etc. could be shifted to the still functioning tab side to help negate any excess lift...per your report, though, doesn't sound like much of an issue, anyway.

I run the protroll brackets upside down on mine. So rather than shoving them deeper to slow me down they allow me to raise them up to flat with the bottom of my hull. If one did in fact break I would just raise the other up. Spare parts are super cheap for them and the manufacturer was very helpful when I talk to them. I have probably 1000 miles on mine now without a hiccup.

Only negative effect I've had is steering in reverse. Next to impossible cause they stick down so far and act as a rudder. Mostly just at the dock. It's not terrible but noticable.

I did a one hole more pressure adjustment on the starboard tab and that improved a small underway list and noticeably reduced pressure on the steering wheel. I find now I really didn't need the protrol feature as the tabs slow me down enough. The upside is that I won't need to hang over the transom to engage them. At idle, absolutely everything on my boat that can rattle does..so if I add a tiny bit of throttle the rattles stop and I'm still around 1.5 mph. to troll. All in all, I'm pleased with the product.