Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope review

Default Scope review

Thought I would share an observation of mine. I shot a couple of my guns yesterday, one has a leupold VXIII and the other has a Zeiss conquest, both scopes are priced about the same. There is no comparison in clarity as the zeiss is that much better, hands down. I never really noticed the difference until yesterday because I had not shot them side by side before. The zeiss is my first one, and if I need another scope, it will most likely be a zeiss.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I agree with this. Today I was at the range and I noticed while shooting @ 100 & 200 yds my Zeiss 3-9x40 with the z-plex reticle out performed the Leupold VX-3 with the 3.5-10x40 in B&C reticle. With the conquest the target really "stood out", at the same zoom range (8 on both) the target was clearer and "bigger". I still really like the Leupold that is atop my Kimber Montana 280ai, but that conquest which is on my Win EW in 325 WSM has always impressed me. I know you stated you have the VXIII which I believe the VX-3 has updated the coatings and is a little bit clearer but my vote still stands with the conquest. BTW I paid $350 for the conquest and $530 for the leupold. The original conquest is discontinued for the conquest HD5 which sells for a premium price although the plain old conquest can still be had for a decent price on some certain internet bidding sites.

To my eye the reticle on the Zeiss has a unique way of standing out brilliantly agains any background. Dark backgrounds and it is a bronze-grey and then stark black against a light background.

It seems to me that Leupold is not keeping up with the times as well as Zeiss. There is a huge difference between the VX 3 and the Conquest.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Anyone have any experience with the Zeiss warranty?

My only gripe about the Conquest is that I didn't buy several more of them...

Still looking for a 4x32 if somebody wants to part with one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

this observation that has multiple reliable comments on really interests me - since I grew up and lived the first 50+ years of my life within 5 miles of Leupold it's always been a knee jerk reaction to defend them BUT for a while now I've been noticing the feedback (and some friends) swaying in favor of the Zeiss - Just yesterday I was in a Cabela's and was perusing the Zeiss "TERRA" line, they seem pretty darn sharp and clear to me (in the store anyways) any feedback on THAT line ? prices seem pretty good

I been shooting the Leupolds for a little over 35 years now and have sent two back to the factory for repairs. One was sent back because the varibable power ring was hard to turn and I called customer service to see if I could lube it with something myself. They said to send it to them and they would fix that and give it a good cleaning, and they did. The other scope adjustment did not work right and they replaced it with a new scope. I have over a dozen Leupolds and been shooting them this long with this small amount of problems and both was took care of in a timely manor at no cost to me except shipping to them. Both of these scopes was used when I bought them and they still took care of them. When you call the company you will get to talk to somebody and not spend all day talking to a computer. My Leupolds are as clear as I need them to be and they gather light well. I am not knocking any other brand of scope because I have not had dealings with them. As long as Leupold does the way they are now I probably will never deal with the other companies. I can see nothing wrong with Leupold so there is nothing to fix in my way of seeing.

Cast Iron - After writing that comment I spend all of today reflecting, sporadically, on Leupold scopes of which I have owned MANY and I arrived at the same conclusion as you suggest, they have worked to my satisfaction in all respects and I see no need to change now - After violating my own advice and changing to VX3 3.5 x 10 and 4.5 x 14's for 2+ seasons I have changed my mind, AGAIN, and have 6X fixed on all my rifles - simple, reliable, lightweight, good on big game to 500 yards .... what's not to love ??

I also have a 6 X 42mm fixed power Leupold. Very nice little scope. You don't hear much about these little scopes but they are up close to the best when it comes to hunting scopes. Nothing will fit every need but they will fit a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My only gripe about the Conquest is that I didn't buy several more of them...

Still looking for a 4x32 if somebody wants to part with one.
    High quality fixed power glass is **** hard to come by anymore, and that's a real shame.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    High quality fixed power glass is **** hard to come by anymore, and that's a real shame.
    I'm a fixed power nut... I love them, apparently in the minority. The 6x42 and 4x32 are my favorites and high quality samples are limited now.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Other than having less stuff to break, are fixed power scopes better than similarly price variable scopes? As in better optics, more bang for your buck?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have about 16 riflescopes, and none of them are expensive.

When I want better clarity, I adjust the Eyepiece. Doesn't "clarity" somewhat depend on one's perspective?, on one's particular vision?

Those of you who appreciate expensive optics, can you tell that much difference in them, over the inexpensive ones I buy? I have, for examples, several Bushnells, 3 Weavers, a Nikon, a couple of Burris, and a BSA. None are really "Top of the Line" even for the manufacturer.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The precision with which they can grind the glass and the high tech coatings they can put on it are the base differences, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I have about 16 riflescopes, and none of them are expensive.

When I want better clarity, I adjust the Eyepiece. Doesn't "clarity" somewhat depend on one's perspective?, on one's particular vision?

Those of you who appreciate expensive optics, can you tell that much difference in them, over the inexpensive ones I buy? I have, for examples, several Bushnells, 3 Weavers, a Nikon, a couple of Burris, and a BSA. None are really "Top of the Line" even for the manufacturer.

Smitty of the North
    Once I needed "any" scope to see how a new rifle I just bought shot.

I didn't have the cash at the time for a good one, so I grabbed a Bushnell from wal-mart. Shot it at the range, but couldn't see the .308 holes at 200 yards. Pulled out my other rifle with a Zeiss Conquest, and clearly saw each and every hole. Both were 3-9x

Glass is worth it.

As a side note, once in the field, at low light, I held up my Conqest and found the furthest bush I could identify individual twigs. I grabbed my buddy's rifle with a VX3 (both 3-9 x 40), and was able to see the same twigs. They're a wash IMO.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I still buy and use old El Paso Weavers in fixed power
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Other than having less stuff to break, are fixed power scopes better than similarly price variable scopes? As in better optics, more bang for your buck?
    In general they have fewer lenses so they are brighter for the same power. The 4x32 and 6x42 both have light transmission well over what you'll find in similar variable scope. Of course, less pieces and parts are typically more reliable and hold up under recoil better. Modern variables are so good the difference is slight but twenty years ago it wasn't the case.

For me it's the simplicity...in fact, my 3-9x Conquest has killed everything I've shot set at 6x. One day I'll scrape it off and spend the dollars on a Schmidt and Bender 6x 30mm.... likely the last of the European fixed 6s.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I still have my old 2.5 X Weaver from Texuz, that I got in prob. 1962, that was my ONLY scope for years.

However, the cross hairs are very fine for my old eyes, and the power is not enough for me anymore. It is not as clear as my Newer Scopes. I have 2 NEW version Weaver K4s that are much better.

I like my variables, mostly 3x9s, I use the highest power for sighting in, the 6X for any Long Range shots, and carry on 3 or 4X.

Fixed power is simpler, and maybe more rugged, but I find them limited compared to a Variable. To me, a Fixed 4X is Special Purpose. For a lightweight rifle, to keep the weight down, A Simple scope for my Wife.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have been pondering on this scope stuff for a few days now (makes the bad job days pass more quickly) I also grab a rifle or two now and then and go compare them at various times and ranges, something occurred to me the other evening - "MY" eyes seem to change during the day's light transitions, I'll be darned if my sight perspective doesn't change too - I guess eyes DO get tired or something like that !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast