Thread: Remote off grid septic systems

Default Remote off grid septic systems

Have a question about installing a septic system to a remote cabin. With say a 1000 septic tank and 100 or so feet of leach field. How would one pump out the tank every 5 years or so?

I know a remote lodge owner who did this. DEC required a big disposal trench for the goo. They pretty much ended up flushing the goo out of the tank and into the trench with a trash pump. Icky icky goo.

2" trash pump...

some would put in a separate 500 gallon leach tank to pump into every summer -early fall to keep the system working during the winter

But, I would suggest a leach tank- instead a a leach field...

Chris

I've got friends with cabin septics and none has ever pumped theirs that I'm aware of. Be careful what you put down there and it should get along fine.

was talking to somewhat dry cabin friend- he pumps his leach tank every year into his decomposing pile of leaves and garden stuff for compost...

he said he has never pumped the main tank...

that said his garden is behind thew house and maybe 300 - 400 yards back...

it's also his moose stand come September

I live in the Fairbanks Borough so I am susposed to pay someone to pump mine

Chris

I am a bit confused about this leach tank system. Un like a leach field where does the waste water go after the leach tank fills up? Or is the leach tank perforated? When the area around the leach tank fails as with the leach field does one just dig it up replace sewer rock or what?

Confused or not went ahead with project. 1000 gal septic followed with 250 gal old tank. Tried shooting a hole into tank with a 45 cal auto. This is truly a lame round. Only put a dent in the tank. Out came the cutting torch. Several holes later installed leach tank and hand picked rocks to surround tank say 2 feet around tank. Will put a 2 inch 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam down and back fill. Should b good to go, time will tell...

The ability of your property to absorb waste water will determine the success of your leach tank. In a typical system with a leach field the trench length is determined by the perk test results of the soils. A perforated tank will require good soils surrounding it. Old timers got by fine with cribs. If your soils are well drained your idea will probably work fine.

DEC has a program on their website that will get you up to speed on septic systems. Watch the video, read the installers manual, and do it right. It's really pretty easy. You need a tank and an absorption field.