Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 2014 SE King Limits

  1. #1

    Default 2014 SE King Limits

    They are out! And they are huge!

    For residents:

    3 a day.

    For non-residents:

    May/June- 2 a day, annual limit of 6
    July-Sept-1 a day, annual limit of 6

    Hold on guys, it's going to be a wild season. They are forecasting a ton of kings to be in the ocean, from a variety of rivers up and down the coast. It might be the best king season we've seen in over a decade.. And we've had some really good king seasons! It'd be amazing if it all pans out, especially after last years coho fishing!

    The Columbia River brights are forecast at 1.6 million kings. That means that if you are fishing on the outer coast.. Sitka or Craig, you are going to experience something special.

    Disclaimer: These are just forecasts, and subject to human error.

    Good fishing!

  2. #2
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    Awesome!!!! I'll be out at Waterfall June 25-28. Can't wait!!!!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  3. #3

    Default

    Nice! It'll be a good one, no doubt.

  4. #4
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Fishing here in Sitka is already off to a phenominal start. Guys are limiting out on sport bag limits in no time at all, the power trollers are coming in with great trips as well. If this keeps up, it's going to be an amazing year! Dock price for kings has been $11.00/lb but recently just dropped to $9.00. Still a great price for sure. I gotta get out there soon!

  5. #5

    Default

    Everybody is going to be an expert after this year....(grin) I'm sure coho won't be too shabby either.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Everybody is going to be an expert after this year....(grin) I'm sure coho won't be too shabby either.
    You mean I'll catch more than one keeper king this summer??

  7. #7

    Default

    We will be steelhead fishing mid April to May 1 on POW island, should we plan on one day of trolling for kings out of Craig or will it still be early?

  8. #8

    Default

    I don't think it's ever to early.

  9. #9

    Default

    if there in sitka they should be here in craig any time now.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Can anyone recommend a guide for April/May in Sitka? Is there a place to freeze fish?

  11. #11
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Ask about freezer space wherever you decide to stay, they might be able to hold it. Otherwise you could ask quality processing, I'm sure they would keep it for you. As far as guides, There are a lot of them here, and most do a good job. I can't really recommend one off the top of my head. Just stay away from Dove Island Lodge, they are crooks. The King fishing here is already off to an amazing start, better hurry!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Just talked to my fishing partner, and he said kings are not doing well yet around Sitka. His landlord has only been killing kings around Sitka for 35 years. They are doing good on halibut, rockfish, and crab.

  13. #13

    Default

    Just talked to a buddy up there, and he said it was slow.. he had 25 for 4 days of fishing. Once this weather moves though they'll be doing 25 or so a day.

  14. #14

    Default

    I can't wait to "exploit" and "low hole" all those fish that "belong" to the Oregon/Washington boys.

    I can hear the whine already!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_enviro View Post
    I can't wait to "exploit" and "low hole" all those fish that "belong" to the Oregon/Washington boys.

    I can hear the whine already!

    Luckily if forecasts come in as predicted, they will have more then they know what to do with. It's the lean years they bark.

  16. #16

    Default

    "Low Holer" would make a good boat name.

    It's interesting what's going on down there. It'd be nice if it was the new norm.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    590

    Default Peak timing

    When is the peak time? I am salivating just thinking about fresh kings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Ask about freezer space wherever you decide to stay, they might be able to hold it. Otherwise you could ask quality processing, I'm sure they would keep it for you. As far as guides, There are a lot of them here, and most do a good job. I can't really recommend one off the top of my head. Just stay away from Dove Island Lodge, they are crooks. The King fishing here is already off to an amazing start, better hurry!

  18. #18
    Member Anythingalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Sitka, Ak
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Just talked to my fishing partner, and he said kings are not doing well yet around Sitka. His landlord has only been killing kings around Sitka for 35 years. They are doing good on halibut, rockfish, and crab.
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Just talked to a buddy up there, and he said it was slow.. he had 25 for 4 days of fishing. Once this weather moves though they'll be doing 25 or so a day.
    He must be pulling your leg! For only being April I'de say the fishing is pretty good here so far! My friend went out sport fishing a few days ago and caught 2 kings in 15 minutes. My troller friend went out and fished 2.5 days and came back with 25 kings. Some boats have been coming in now with 30+ fish for 3 or 4 days. Even the hand trollers here are getting 2-5 fish a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    When is the peak time? I am salivating just thinking about fresh kings.
    The last week or two of June will be the best king sport fishing. Once the July 1st king opener opens, they will get scooped up quick.

    Wait a second...what am I saying! You guys are right, the fishing sucks here, stay away, go somewhere else!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •