Thread: My first experience with 308 military brass?

Default My first experience with 308 military brass?

A couple weeks ago my son bought a bag of 100 resized once fired mixed brass from a Scheels store. I have never loaded any military brass so this was a first. They had all been polished and I had to knock out about 15 or so primer holes that were plugged with media. I had about 80 mixed military cases and 20 mixed commercial. I miked several rounds and they all seemed within guidelines so I loaded 2 rounds, one of ea. I proceeded to chamber them in a Browning X bolt and the commercial round worked fine, the military round took some effort to close the bolt - hmmm? So then I picked up my sons AR that he was going to use them in after good old dad reloaded them - and the commercial round cycled ok but the military round stuck in the chamber and took some pretty good force to extract.
    I ended up resizing all the rounds and they seem to be fine now. So, my first thought is that the shoulders may not have been resized enough on the military brass to cause the problem? Or?????? Since they all miked OK, I am still a bit unsure what the issue was - any body else have some inputs?
    I did weigh several cases and much to my surprise the military cases all weighed within a 7 grain spread but the commercial stuff was all over the place with as much as a 40 grain spread....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

They are not quite the same. Here is a good explanation.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

When I buy LC1X I try to get grade #3, just range pick up. I:

Clean it depending on how dirty it is.
    Pound out the primers with a Lee tool and a hammer.
    Remove primer crimp with a Dillon swage tool.
    Deburr the flash hole.
    Size the case with regular dies.
    Clean it.
    Trim to min. length.
    Deburr the case mouth.
    Separate by headstamp.

It's usually ready to load.

I inspect each case at each step.

Interesting, MUCH LIKE THE 556 AND 223... I think I will shoot this stuff up and pitch the cases - more trouble than I want to deal with...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I had the same problem resizing LC match brass in 308. I'd resize it with my FL die, then load it and it wouldn't chamber.

What I think I ran into was a combination of brass that is pretty hard and "springy" and not putting lube inside the necks when resizing. I think the shoulders were springing back a little and I was also pulling the shoulders up when I pulled the expander back thru the necks.

If I ran each piece thru the press a couple of times, they would (barely)chamber, but that was before I started lubing the inside of the necks. After that, no problem resizing in one pass.

NOw that I figured it out, I really like using the LC brass for reloading. I didn't know if it was just that batch I had or if it is common. The stuff I had was old once fired match brass from the early 70's.