Thread: repowering 1856 alweld tunnel

Default repowering 1856 alweld tunnel

So I've been looking around here for some time trying to find some info on what to repower my boat with. Its a alweld 1856 with a tunnel bought from the boat shop new in 07 I believe. Its got a 1992 johnson 115 2-stoke jet, I'm the second owner. I'm looking at the 4-stroke Yamaha 115 jet just kinda concerned about the weight. Just kinda hoping for some pointers i would really like to get better fuel economy which I'm sure anything new is going to do better than what I get which is 10-12GPH ish. But I'm not really wanting to drop to much power to go to like the etec 90 which would be a lot closer to the weight i have now, but i am definatly willing to do that if you guys think my power wont feel that much lacking.
    Just hoping for some help any info would be greatly appriciated
    Thanks in advance.

The money you would save on gas with a ETEC you will spend and then some on getting that pos out of the shop. Do you research, there is far more unhappy ETEC owners than happy one. The people who like ETECs are the ones who work on them and make a VERY good living.

Go with the Yammy, Suzuki or even a Merc... any of those options will leave a better taste in your mouth and you will have more time on the river and more money in your wallet.

Tom

I have an open tiller steer SeaArk 1860 MVJT I run it with an older Honda BF90/65. That boat is perfect. I don't know if your Alweld is a console model with a cab or....? I was worried about the weight of the Honda but I moved my tank to the bow and it is fine. You should consider the Suzuki DF140 they are proven and they run the oversize jet pumps and they may be the cheapest to buy. I don't know how the Yamaha F115 is as a jet (I think most Yamaha inline fours I see as jets are the 150/105 model), but that F115 is very reliable.

You ought to talk to both Compeau's and The Boat Shop and decide for yourself on the shops as they will be servicing them as you are in Fairbanks.

Cresent Hills is right about the ETECs from what I have seen. IF you do decide to get one, opt for the extra insurance you used to get upwards of 7 years of warranty protection... Of course that is only money if it goes down while on the river that is another story.

Remember that most jets are run at higher rpms then when rigged with a prop, and that is hard on a motor. Google Suzuki 140 as a jet. I think Glen Wooldridge has posted on this forum in the power boating section talking about this. Oh here in Southeast AK there are quite a few people that are happy with their two stroke Mercs as jet motors on the rivers.

Sobie2

Thanks guys my alweld is a console and I've heard the same thing about etecs either they are the greatest in the world or the biggest POS around so I wasn't really leaning on them to hard just liked the weight. I looked at the merc but wasn't a big fan of reeds here in fairbanks anybody where the first thing they do is bash competition and not say anything about there product just sits wrong with me. Sobie do you happen to know the weight on that Honda? I haven't really looked at Suzuki I'll have to check them out.
    Was also talking about my current motor 92 johnson115 jet with a friend and he says that with the age and use of that motor I could drop to a 90/65and never even notice a difference in power.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk