Thread: repowering 1856 alweld tunnel

Default repowering 1856 alweld tunnel

So I've been looking around here for some time trying to find some info on what to repower my boat with. Its a alweld 1856 with a tunnel bought from the boat shop new in 07 I believe. Its got a 1992 johnson 115 2-stoke jet, I'm the second owner. I'm looking at the 4-stroke Yamaha 115 jet just kinda conserned about the weight. Just kinda hoping for some pointers i would really like to get better fuel economy which I'm sure anything new is going to do better than what I get which is 10-12GPH ish. But I'm not really wanting to drop to much power to go to like the etec 90 which would be a lot closer to the weight i have now, but i am definatly willing to do that if you guys think my power wont feel that much lacking.
    Just hoping for some help any info would be greatly appriciated
    Thanks in advance.

The 115/80 is heavy but a great motor, I had one on a 17.7 Wooly Alaskan, it had a 52" bottom and a tunnel, It would burn about 4 to 6 GPH average.
    I think I figured 3.5 to 5 MPG.
    It seems I needed to run 4400 -4600 to stay on step, suspect the Alweld will be lighter and may do better, that 4" wider bottom will help some too.
    I would not recommend a lift with a narrow bottom, you could consider a Suzi 140, actually a few pounds lighter than the Yammie........but I doubt you could go slow enough to really save on any fuel, but it would haul a load.......Both great engines......You will love the 4S.......I can actually talk to someone in a normal voice......................hope this helps.........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

awesome akgramps thats the kinda fuel numbers i was looking for couldnt find much about that yamaha 115/80 on boats my size. that helps a lot. what do you mean by a lift sorry im pretty new to boating in general.
    Thanks

You may want a lift if you get a hankering to run a prop, they make the swap much easier, the issue (IMO) is the ~5" setback you get with a lift.
    Moving a 400 pound object aft that much is like a big lever and will make it slower to get on step and will drift lower in the water.....you will lose some performance w/jet by doing so (IMO)....and a jet is 30% less to start with....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

oh gotcha thanks. I dont forsee me running a prop anytime soon. thanks again for the info.

I do have two threads open that say the same thing i think it was the other thread you said that in. This is my first time posting on this site so I really hope the mods aren't like that over here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk