Thread: Hanging heavy moose antler dilemna! Need advice

Default Hanging heavy moose antler dilemna! Need advice

Well I am getting settled in our new house and started hanging some mounts, but I am having a hard time with my moose antlers. I want to hang the rack mount in the center of the highest cathedral ceiling portion, but my studs are about 8 " on either side of center. What I am thinking of doing is attaching a stained cut to width 2x6 to each of those off center 2 x 6 studs and then attach the rack in the center of the created 2x6. Have any of you done something like this before? Any advice would be much appreciated

Default antlers

How about using a 2X8 or 2x10 with a 3/4 bevel on the edges? Either way should work.

I think you just should throw the rack in the garage to make room for another sheep on the wall

Somewhere between here and there.....

Default Wall anchor

We used a Molly bolt in the wall on our 60 inchers. Works really well since we had the same problem...

If you get a long enough bolt you can drill a hole clear through the wall and put a nut on it outside.

molly ancors and heavy things scare me.

Figured out how to do this properly. I bought some 3/4" cabinet grade birch, which is actually really nice looking and real hard and I am gonna affix it to both the studs 16" apart and then run a lag screw through the center of the birch board and use the pre-existing hangar on the back of the rack mount plack.

P.S. Perry, theres plenty of room for another sheep and even a goat too,after I get back from Kodiak this Sept. PM me your phone # again I am finally able to breathe a little as we settle in to the new house we need to get together.