Thread: This makes me happy.

Default This makes me happy.

Huh. You sure this isn't ADF&G playing an April Fools Day prank?

I was thinking that. It would be kinda funny in a way.

Yep it's true. There has been an abundance of king salmon around here this year, and fishing has been fantastic this month!

Missed this thread! We have something special going on this year, that's for sure. The 325k troll quota has me excited. Gonna fill my boat up a few times on my days off!

Charterboat Operator

NO kings for SC but tons for SE???? what the heck????

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    NO kings for SC but tons for SE???? what the heck????
    It's largely because of excellent runs as of recently in southern stocks in lowe BC and the Columbia. Local regulations such as one rod in terminal areas that do not have abundant forecasts in SE counter this overall regulation. After returning fish do their thing, the majority of fish caught in SE the rest of the year belong to someone else anyway.

No Alaskan stocks were harmed in this decision

Yep, SE fish are a completely different stock than SC fish. The fish you guys catch in Homer in the winter migrate down this direction and we catch them while they feed back to their rivers of origin.

If you want kings, come to SE.

So you think that all of the kings that are getting bonked in Feb, March, April out of Homer are feeding and return to......SE AK & BC & Wash/Oreg?

I just can't understand why those SE fish would fatten up in Cook Inlet and the Kenai Penn spawners would fatten up elsewhere prior to spawn ?

Bullelkklr, You left out Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, May, Jun, and July!!!!!!!! As for why Cook Inlet tributary Kings go to other places to feed who knows, but studies have shown most feeder king taken around homer are from Ore, Wa, BC, and a few from southeast AK.

Charterboat Operator

so, we should start a salmon fry "school" ! teach all of our SC kings to play and feed with the kings of the west coast, this way they could avoid the trawlers, illegal drift nets, frollic and get fat then actually return... of course we would have to go back to the 1 rod p/p in SE until the stocks built up!

You guys have a whole lot more going on up there than just trawlers and illegal drift nets.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    ....., but studies have shown most feeder king taken around homer are from Ore, Wa, BC, and a few from southeast AK.
    What percentage do these "studies" cover of the fish bonked in the Homer salt water king fishery?

I don't believe it - show me the numbers. I bet that the ADFG don't know either. Checking a miniscule percentage of fish doesn't convince me. Someone convince me please.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    You guys have a whole lot more going on up there than just trawlers and illegal drift nets.
    Can you please elaborate?

I know of some - say maybe bonkin spawners in river. Wounding and releasing spawners in river. Bank erosion. Polution to the spawning waters. Playing with spawners on their redds. Killing spawners before they get into the river. Killing spawners in legal set nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

I know of some - say maybe bonkin spawners in river. Wounding and releasing spawners in river. Bank erosion. Polution to the spawning waters. Playing with spawners on their redds. Killing spawners before they get into the river. Killing spawners in legal set nets.
    That about covers it.

What percentage do these "studies" cover of the fish bonked in the Homer salt water king fishery?

I don't believe it - show me the numbers. I bet that the ADFG don't know either. Checking a miniscule percentage of fish doesn't convince me. Someone convince me please.
    ADFG has it pretty much figured out, thanks to tagging. The sport fishermen in Homer ain't your problem.

Add in the relatively recent shift in the PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation). As I understand it, the last time we had a similar shift in the PDO (in the 70's?), the same thing happened - king salmon returns in CA, OR, WA, British Columbia, and SE were high while returns in the rest of Alaska tanked. Things shifted into the 80s and 90s and the trends reversed - Alaska had great times while the PNW struggled. The PDO has shifted again and the trend has held true. This is not to suggest that bycatch, overharvest, etc. do not play a role in our current issues - they most certainly do - but ocean conditions are most certainly playing a part as well.

Not only does ADF&G collect chinook head samples from hatchery fish in Cook Inlet, but private anglers such as myself submit them to the ADF&G Mark, Tag and Age Lab. I just sent in two hatchery fish from Homer last week. Call them if you want some data.

Mailing Address:
    State of Alaska
    Department of Fish and Game
    Mark, Tag and Age Laboratory
    PO Box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    Phone: (907) 465-3483
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I guess that I will have to call them. Was hoping for a posted report. I don't think that the ADFG has good counts on how many are bonked in the winter fishery - little own what percentage of them they are testing.

I went to most of the winter lectures that they put on at the fish hatchery. Sure -they do what they can with the budgets that they have - but they are managing people and politics, not fish and game. just my Nickel.....