Thread: Fly Fishing for Hooligan

Default Fly Fishing for Hooligan

Has anyone tried catching hooligan on the fly. I know that smelts get caught on the fly in the east coast.
    Thanks
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

We caught a piss ton last summer trying to catch reds

Nice! I do know people would rather dip net for them, so that is why I asked. thanks
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

We kept a dozen or so and deep fried them like we used to do with smelt from Lake Superior. They were the worst fish I have ever eaten hands down. The puppies were the only ones who enjoyed them. I don't know what the guys do with them who dip net buckets of them, is there some "secret recipie" that makes them edible?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    We kept a dozen or so and deep fried them like we used to do with smelt from Lake Superior. They were the worst fish I have ever eaten hands down. The puppies were the only ones who enjoyed them. I don't know what the guys do with them who dip net buckets of them, is there some "secret recipie" that makes them edible?
    I can't force myself to eat one either...

Mud flavored mushy fish... Mmmm The only way I can eat them is to Brine them in a salty spicy mix and then smoke them until they are hard and dry. Then eat them while drinking beer, lots of beer.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Mud flavored mushy fish... Mmmm The only way I can eat them is to Brine them in a salty spicy mix and then smoke them until they are hard and dry. Then eat them while drinking beer, lots of beer.
    I second brine and smoke them until very dry. I use them as an outdoor activity snack with my kids and I. I don't think they taste bad after most of the oil is smoked out, just don't under cook them. Tried fried, once...
    They do go well with a day of fishing, hiking or camping.
    Beer never hurt the taste of anything...