Thread: The .303 British - An English Bulldog

Default The .303 British - An English Bulldog

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Great article about a great round. Somehow the rifle just never suited my lefty inclinations and gangly build, but I sure admire the round. Of course, I really like the 30-40 Krag, too.

I recall that at one time the old Canadian ammo company (CIL?) loaded heavy bullets in the 303, and they were very popular for moose. Something tells me it was around or just over 200 grains. Ever run across it?

Yes, it was a 215gr round. I use Woodleigh 215gr and have duplicated factory velocities and a tad better than factory with some powders. I would be a hammer for Moose or for that matter, pretty much any big game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I recall a friend making a side trip for buffalo of some sort on a visit to Australia, and he reported using some kind of local 303 heavy in that weight range. Dinked the buff with a single round, and from the pics those things are huge! Of course the 303 and wildcats on the case are about the only game in town down under.

Many years ago the 303 was very popular for moose in Canada. 40 years ago my first rifle for moose was a Parker Hale and all 4 members of the hunting party used the 303 (one with a peep site). For practice, the old military rounds were cheap and we use to buy them by the case of 2000 (at I believe .17 each). But you do not see them used much any more. Ah the good old days.

Bob

I ended up with a Jungle Carbine my Dad had purchased thru a magazine and I wish I still had it. It was a fine rifle and I must have been 14 or there abouts and that steel butt plate hurt with every shot but that didn't keep me from shooting it. I grew up in FL and it was used on more than one gator with FMJ or some tracer I came by somehow. They both would skip off the water in a heart beat if you didn't connect with the gator but there weren't many folks around then so nobody worried much. We filed the tips off to shoot deer and they did not expand at all. I think the jacket was meant to punch thru German helmets so having a flat nose didn't matter much. Great gun!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I own two and love them.
    One well known elephant hunter used the Lee Speed in .303. Many farmers in South Africa used it on nuisance animals of all types. Canadians used it for about everything too.
    I have never loaded over 180 grain bullets in either of mine, but I bet it would be a thumper of sorts with those Woodleighs loaded right.

Yes, 180 is the most I have used on game but that 215 could be a real thumper.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS