Thread: Raven encounter....

Default Raven encounter....

So this was pretty exciting climbing out of PASX on my way to PAHO.

http://youtu.be/Q-c0Cy3_2MA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

That raven probably has more hrs than even Grizz...Birds can do a lot of damage, but from my experience in flying low and slow and even Nap of the earth, they generally will do their best to get out of the way too...Obviously flocks are a different story but single bird encounters generally make an attempt to get out of the way if you are not going the speed of heat...

I've noticed over the years that eagles do not give way to airplanes. Even flying low along a gulf coast beach in a noisy beaver, an eagle perched on a nearby snag will just sit there as the plane flies by only a few yards away. On the other hand, walk along the same beach and the eagle will fly away long before you get close. I hit an eagle once with a Super Cub. It was a near disaster. http://www.flyalaska.com/eaglestrike.html

In the 80's I had a Eagle fly at my 172 when I was low passing its nest. It was in the attack mode, real eye opener. I was carrying a biologist doing a eagle survey, I was a F&G LEO at the time and thankfully I missed the bird , monguse , feel for you .

I never fly under a soaring eagle. Always afraid they'll dive. My closest calls have been with eagles and swans. Landing floats around a creek corner can startle up water birds. Swans aren't very maneuverable when getting going. And dang, they're big. Fly Lake Hood and you'll get lots of close calls with swallows. They make noise when you hit one but they don't do any damage. I've had tons of near misses and only one hit.

Hit a Raven on TO at FYU, he flew straight away, I rotated behind him and he hit the bottom of the fuselage below me. I think the raven was used to the 700hp Navaho's speed, not the 1300hp Cheyenne that I was in that day. He just wasn't going fast enough to get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    I've noticed over the years that eagles do not give way to airplanes. Even flying low along a gulf coast beach in a noisy beaver, an eagle perched on a nearby snag will just sit there as the plane flies by only a few yards away. On the other hand, walk along the same beach and the eagle will fly away long before you get close. I hit an eagle once with a Super Cub. It was a near disaster. http://www.flyalaska.com/eaglestrike.html
    Now, THAT, Monguse, is a real Alaska flying tale. You've earned my clap on the back for today. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Now, THAT, Monguse, is a real Alaska flying tale. You've earned my clap on the back for today. Good job!
    I'll second that. I also agree with some others in that eagles are the biggest *********s flying around. It seems to me that most birds will attempt some evasive action (usually diving), but eagles don't seem to give a crap. That combination of size and attitude makes it a good idea to keep an eye on them.

Remember April 15th and September 15th. .... living out in the Palmer area for quite a while I have seen Snow Geese, Canadian Geese, Sandhill Cranes, Eagles (both kinds), hawks and falcons way too close for comfort, major flyway out there but it is that time of year .... pay attention.

And then there are seagulls. They are basically stupid when airplanes are taking off on either land or water. Seagulls resting on the water or hanging out near a runway will invariably takeoff directly across the intended path of an airplane on its takeoff run instead of away from it. Many years ago there were several hundred seagulls hanging out at the outflow of a gurry discharge line just off shore from the cannery that was processing salmon. The water was rough, and the seagulls were quite a distance off to my right as I started my takeoff run in the lee of a small island. I left the water at a very slow speed and emerged from the lee of the island to big waves just beneath me and a blizzard of seagulls all crossing my path from right to left. I couldn't abort because the water was too rough and a seagull went through the prop. Fortunately it didn't hit the windshield or a wing strut, but it left a mess of dried-on guts feathers and blood all along the right side of the plane which I cleaned off after landing an hour later at my intended destination.

Years ago, and while flying a Piper Comanche 250, a seagull slipped over the prop and smacked the upper windshield just as I turned to a very short final to Rwy 6. No damage, but quite a surprise! In those days, of course, the city dump was just off the end of that runway, and the seagulls were thick at times.

Hey now .....seagulls are a protected species .... for the life of me I do not know why ...... :~)

Most Eagles are looking down trying to find something to eat, the only bird that gets into their head are Ravens .... flying wise never had a problem with a Raven their heads are on a swivel, but do not leave a white plastic garbagage sack in the back of your pickup truck, do not ask me how I know ....