Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality reels recommendations

Default Quality reels recommendations

Dear Fly Fishing friends,

I am looking to pick up a new reel or 2 and I am curious as to what everyone is using and why? I have used a lot of lamson and they are good but I am looking to have a "mutual uncoupling". I am thinking Ross, Hatch or Galvin but they are pricey. I am looking for mid-weights, 5-7 and 8-9s. They will be fished on sages, scotts, redingtons and echos. I am open to any and everything in terms of reels, just curious to see what the kids are using these days.

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Airborneflyguy View Post
    Dear Fly Fishing friends,

I am looking to pick up a new reel or 2 and I am curious as to what everyone is using and why? I have used a lot of lamson and they are good but I am looking to have a "mutual uncoupling". I am thinking Ross, Hatch or Galvin but they are pricey. I am looking for mid-weights, 5-7 and 8-9s. They will be fished on sages, scotts, redingtons and echos. I am open to any and everything in terms of reels, just curious to see what the kids are using these days.

-Nick
    Nautilus, Hatch Tops in My books for reels that require serious drag.
    Lamson for everything else.

If you are so inclined- I have a Ross Momentum LT Size 4 I'll make you a good deal on.

We all have our favorites. I love Abel for heavy fresh water fish. For saltwater I like Tibors huge spools. Just reel it, it will all fit even if the line goes on one side of the reel. Both have strong smooth drags. Buy one and its good for life. Just my opinion.

you should check out solitude reels. give em look!

Nick,
    I have a sweet Galvan Spoke in 5/6. I also hear good things about their Torque line. Small, family run American company.

-JV

I have several Lamsons and absolutely love them. They are watertight and have rock-solid drag systems.
    When I started fly-fishing years ago I was using garbage plastic reels with cork drags. The first non-garbage reel I bought was a G. Loomis Venture 5 (best $200 reel you can buy for $100) and I still use it on my 5wt rods.
    However, as it has been said, everyone has their own favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass417 View Post
    I have several Lamsons and absolutely love them. They are watertight and have rock-solid drag systems.
    When I started fly-fishing years ago I was using garbage plastic reels with cork drags. The first non-garbage reel I bought was a G. Loomis Venture 5 (best $200 reel you can buy for $100) and I still use it on my 5wt rods.
    However, as it has been said, everyone has their own favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the money I agree Lamson's are hard to beat!!! I have quite a few and that is all I use now.

You might find this interesting great information IMO

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...ge-lamsonreels

Thanks Blue for the above article. Very interesting. And I always like data that defends my bias. Personally I like the Lamson Litespeed on my 6 wt for its light weight. Anything bigger, I am a huge Tibor fan. Never been disappointed

Was a Ross loyalist until the evolution (orig. Cimmaron and Gunisson fan). Have had some mixed experiences w/ Lamson. Old Lamson w/ clutch drags were garbage, but have undergone tremendous improvement w/ the sealed conical drag, however for the right-hand retrieve setup Ive had several instances on the velocity and konic models that the drag mechanism failed. This problem may also have been resolved,but in the meantime I was introduced to solitude reels. Since the introduction I've had zero problems. The only draw back, for some, is they are a little heavier than similarreels, but that is fine by me. Not sure how their drag mechanism is constructed, but it is flawless! I have used them now for the past 4 years (S3 and S4) and never an issue.
    Yeah, eveyrone has their favorite and the Solitude series is mine, check them out

I use to be a huge ross fan, and then their reels went down in quailty IMO...i have a Galvan now for larger fish and i love it, i love the drag on it too, its a great reel i think mine is a size 8. for rainbows i use hatch. I like how the drag is on the hatch reels also, very smooth but they run a little north of 400 bucks.

I should be getting two new reels in the mail from Allen Fly Fishing (Trout II/Alpha III). I have read a lot of positive reviews so far, but I will update with my thoughts.

AKTroutGuy

Really like my Ross CLA's and Flylogic. Functional and smooth and not too pricey.

FYI Bauer is making a comeback as well and would be worth looking at.

I also like Ross CLA's for the price and love the drag systems on them. I have not used the Nautilus reels but they look pretty sweet...

If you are looking for quality at all costs, I would suggest the Nautilus NV G-8 - I have burned up or broken a lot of reels in my day including several Ross, galvan, and assorted other brands, and I have yet to mess up my G-8. I got one of the first ones out the door and have beaten it up for about 5 years now on everything from subzero steelhead rivers to Mexican roosterfish beaches. Still looks and feels like new.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    FYI Bauer is making a comeback as well and would be worth looking at.
    I had nothing but issues with an older Bauer (M-5 I think) and cannot recommend. Service was okay but slow. Beautiful to look at, but there are much better reels out there for the money.

Yes I agree they were not a good value as well IMO just making the statement they may be worth looking into once again. Some changes have been going on concerning the product line. I am not rushing out anytime soon to put one in my hands however I have been toying with the idea.

I still put a hurtin on an old ross g3.

I've had great luck with my system 2l's. Though they may be a bit small for your 8-9, I use it on a 9' 5 and 10' 6 wt regularly as my go to.

i love my ross vexis i've got it on an 8wt and its great for salmon and pike. i put sharkskin steelhead taper line on it and really like the setup. its not abrasive on the fingers unless you are a pansy just my .02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast