Thread: Bait up high or down low

Default Bait up high or down low

I think higher dispenses the scent but with elevation comes lack of water to wash all them donuts down. Watcha experts think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

without knowing where your at, I would say lower. It has been my experience that early bears tend to gravitate to the waters edge. This is the first place to green up and provides the earliest natural source of food. Baiting is like anything else when it comes to hunting. To be successful you have to hunt where the game wants to be. Scent is a key factor but remember a bears sense of smell is crazy good. Throw some yoyos up high in the trees, spray the area with anise and let the wind and the bears nose do the rest.

Good luck

low, but not in the bottoms...
    I believe the bears like to have some firm ground around to move around, as well as the fact that the receding snow uncovers goodies for them

therefore, I look for a treeline, or a break in terrain structure

Chris

The bears are everywhere man, I have done both low and high and even the edge of a marsh. I saw bears on all of them, like I said, bears are EVERYWHERE so it shouldn't matter much. Have a good season

Midway between top and bottom. Let the air currents carry the smell high and low. It's worked for me. But as has been said before they are everywhere especially when they first come out. They need massive food.

I look for game trails (that include bear sign), a good water source close by ( typically within 100 yards) and place the bait VERY close or in some type of cover. Elevation means nothing... I've NEVER not had bears....

Well I could either be in high elevation so scent falls into valleys with no water source within .5 miles, or in the flat grassy bogs. Decisions decisions. I'm losing sleep over this!!! Just purchased a cabin and really want a nice established bait to enjoy for many many years. I just hope I'm the only one in the area ! I hate the idea of sharing within 100 miles. I know that's far fetched but ya know what I mean.
    If there are other baiters within a mile, would I notice it? I'm pretty sure they aren't too serious about it as I am. I think I've spent over 1k in bait em 907 stuff
    ADDICTED

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo907 View Post
    Well I could either be in high elevation so scent falls into valleys with no water source within .5 miles, or in the flat grassy bogs. Decisions decisions. I'm losing sleep over this!!! Just purchased a cabin and really want a nice established bait to enjoy for many many years. I just hope I'm the only one in the area ! I hate the idea of sharing within 100 miles. I know that's far fetched but ya know what I mean.
    If there are other baiters within a mile, would I notice it? I'm pretty sure they aren't too serious about it as I am. I think I've spent over 1k in bait em 907 stuff
    ADDICTED

I know guys (formerly including myself) who bait or baited out in the flatlands, no elevation at all (Yentna, lower Big Su, Deshka, Petersville, etc..) and do just fine.
    Your cabin? Well, I'd say go for a long walk-about this summer and SEE what you're dealing with. If your good to go, then great. If ya got visitors/neighbors, then adjust accordingly.
    Not sure of your bear population where your wanting to bait. It may get smokin' hot right off the bat and stay that way OR it may take a year or 3 to train the few in the area and keep them interested. With $1000 worth of that 907 stuff, you just might pull bears away from other baits, within a mile or possibly further. But if someone has $2000 worth of it a mile away, it could backfire on ya. LOL.. Ya never know...
    Trial and error man.... Don't lose sleep, just do it..

We moved a bait station from lower timber to higher cottonwoods and alders, and have been very successful. Basically we're baiting them where they live; its harder packing the bait uphill, but we face less competition and see more bears, at all hours of day and night. Water's no problem- bait is beside a creek. Bears will roll rocks in the creek to make noise before approaching the site... its lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    We moved a bait station from lower timber to higher cottonwoods and alders, and have been very successful. Basically we're baiting them where they live; its harder packing the bait uphill, but we face less competition and see more bears, at all hours of day and night. Water's no problem- bait is beside a creek. Bears will roll rocks in the creek to make noise before approaching the site... its lots of fun.
    I think the key word is Alders. I predict bears feel a little safer near them and don't mind camping out in them either..