Thread: 200gr bullet for a 300 Savage?

Default 200gr bullet for a 300 Savage?

I was considering experimenting with some heavy loads, 200gr, for my 300 Savage (Remington 760). Alliant's data shows velocity just under 2400fps for a 200 grain, so I don't think a super premium (Barnes X, Swift A-Frame, etc.) would be a good choice since they may not reliably expand at that low velocity. At the same time, it doesn't look like the Core-Lokt or Grand Slam come in a 30 cal 200 grain any more.

Recommendations? Does anyone here use a load like this?

Thanks,
    Travis

Speer still makes the 200 hotcore, or did last I checked. Nosler makes a 200 Accubond as well as a 200 partition, while both are great bullets they also expand fairly readily down to lower velocities than the monolithic bullets. I have had good results using all three of the above mentioned albeit in an 06 but good nonetheless. On the other end of the spectrum, and just food for thought, my 300 savage shoots the 130ttsx like crazy, and fast.

A bud of mine shoots the 200 Speer Hotcor and nothing else from his. Been doing it for years, and won't hear of shooting anything else. Near as I can recall he's using IMR-3031 and not even getting 2200fps. But it kills like crazy- everything from moose to mice.

You can't go wrong with the Accubond!!

It may or may not shoot 200s, It's going to depend on the twist you have. I love Partitions myself.

Thanks for the replies so far. Partition and Hot-Cor definetly sound worth a look, as well as the Accubond. I hadn't been aware of the Accubond. It looks like a similar idea to the Swift Scirocco- I may try that as well.

I'm not sure if it will stabilize 200grs, but I figure I will try. I've heard several say the 300 Savage won't, but I'm hoping that is mainly based on the Savage 99 with a 1 in 12" twist. My 760 is 1 in 10". I'll just have to try and see.

Travis

My experience is 200s in the 308 (10 twist) and its borderline, some guns will shoot them and some wont. Only way to know is try them, the shorter the bullet the better and push them hard and see what they do.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona