Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun slug 12 ga 3 inch brenekke effectiveness

Default Shotgun slug 12 ga 3 inch brenekke effectiveness

hi I wanted to ask if any bear baiters use shotguns and what slugs they use. I plan to use brenekke and am unsure how effective they arw. also can 12 ga slugs be used on brown bears in case you get charged while baiting? any tips to approach bait stations safely for replenishing bait?

I started carrying them in my hiking gun when I found out that's what the the agencies and bear guards carry.

I know a guard that has used them and it sounded like they performed as advertised.

I personally wouldn't think twice about hunting with them out of a stand, that's a huge wound channel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even the standard 1 1/4oz Federal makes brownies all soupy inside.Your pick is one of the best.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks guys. I am planning to do my first hunt ever of anything and am targeting a black spring bear from a bait station. I will use my 12 gauge,with 3" brenekke slugs based on the feedback received here.

I wouldn't have a problem using them slugs. I was looking to get a big brown bear last year in a area where I couldn't use my rifle and that's what I was gonna use...

Seen lots go for a tumble with slugs
    Good luck to u

One word if caution, some folks elect to use the 2-3/4 because some shotguns apparently have trouble ejecting the hulls of the 3" slugs, don't remember which guns or where I read that, but it's worth putting a few down the tube of YOuR gun to be sure!

thanks I will keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    One word if caution, some folks elect to use the 2-3/4 because some shotguns apparently have trouble ejecting the hulls of the 3" slugs, don't remember which guns or where I read that, but it's worth putting a few down the tube of YOuR gun to be sure!

do uou think spot and stalk is practical for bears using a shotgun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem using them slugs. I was looking to get a big brown bear last year in a area where I couldn't use my rifle and that's what I was gonna use...

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    I have done spot and stalk to within 30 yds. All depends on your luck, timing, skill...
    Slugs will be plenty for blackies.

Brennekes are badazz... Alot of Troopers use them for headshots on moose and whatnot that need dispatching and the damage caused by those slugs are impressive!! On a baitstation, I wouldn't hesitate to use them...

Not that you would ever notice during a tense moment, but any slug has a pretty good wallop to it, and a three inch even more so. I've used 2 3/4 for hunting and protection for that very reason and feel they are many plenty good medicine (in case your gun or shoulder don't like the three inchers)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    Why not, it beats a sharp stick in the eye Bears are not bullet proof. They are though critters but but a slug in the right place will do the right trick. Just know the limits of your weapon of choice,,

Go on youtube and look up the video by tnoutdoors. He does ballistic gel and a bunch of other penetration tests with the exact slugs you're wanting. I'll say this though, it will be a bad day for a bear that gets whacked with one of those.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Thanks i just saw the videos. Ultra impressive penetration and devastation! With the correct shot placement it looks like it will drop a kodiak bear.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskatrevor View Post
    Go on youtube and look up the video by tnoutdoors. He does ballistic gel and a bunch of other penetration tests with the exact slugs you're wanting. I'll say this though, it will be a bad day for a bear that gets whacked with one of those.

No problem! From what I hear though, the shooter and the BEAR will feel the power of the slug. I'm in the very slow process of turning my 870 into a bear defense gun/slug hunting gun.

I just took a moose with a fed 2 3/4 inch 1 1/4wt slug one hit to the brisket and the lungs became liquid. That was at 50yrds. Literally nothing more then a few small chunks left.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Even the standard 1 1/4oz Federal makes brownies all soupy inside.Your pick is one of the best.
    Right on Amigo. I headshot an angry, incoming 8' sow at less than 10 feet a couple years ago and it was instant lights out with a Brenneke. I've shot several other brownies with them and it was the same result as described by Amigo...soupy.

At 50 yards the discussion so far has guaranteed high probability of effectiveness against brown or black bears. anyone knows if 3 inch brenekke will be effective for a 100 yard shot?

would the 2 3/4 el cheapo remington 5 bucks for 5 round slugs work on bears under 50 yards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast