Thread: ATV or UTV

Default ATV or UTV

Looking into purchasing an offroad vehicle now that my wife and I are in Alaska. Currently debating between a Polaris sportsman 850 touring or a Polaris Ranger 900. Would appreciate input from outdoorsmen and women who have experience with atvs/utvs while hunting in Alaska. Thanks in advance, Adam

I'll never buy a sit-on machine again. Personally I'd buy a RZR instead of a Ranger, too. Or the equivalent in a different brand if you're so inclined. I like my Ranger but the RZR is better at everything that matters to me.

If you don't have much experience riding an atv you will be much better off driving a side by side. For hunting a rzr is not optimal a ranger 900you will love. Side by sides are much more stable and if you want to talk to your partner much more conducive for that. I think a new 850 and a 900 are comparable price wise. If it was me I'd get the 900. For hunting in ak you need to get off trail. I know that with the extended wheel base of the two up it will work but at the same time it'll be working you.

Being that we are 'Arctic cat' fans, I can not comment on the Polaris line of vehicles. However we have both 'normal' 4x4 ATV's(Arctic Cat 500's) and a Arctic Prowler 700HDX. They both have there good and bad points. My suggestion would be to find some one that has the same type of machines that you are looking at and seeing if you can spend a day riding with them. We all have different expectations of what we expect from these vehicles. For us, it was nice to have the Prowler for riding around in this winter(it has a soft cab cover and heater) rather then the 4x4's.
    Part of the fun is looking at all of the different machines. Also figure out what you are going to be doing with your machines and go from there.

I am not dumping my paid for quads but my next toy purchase will be a UTV of some kind. There are certainly situations where the ATV would be superior but I have no doubt we will be more inclined to venture out with a UTV, especially when the temps drop or the weather deteriorates.

Default Atv-utv

Here is one of those times when the UTV is nice to have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will let you test ride this (with me) if you are near wasilla. a lot of trails near my house, you may never want to buy a four wheeler ever again.
    pm me.
    "f/64 and be there"

Side x sides are too wide for most of the trails up here. A medium width ATV is the best option. Bigger is not better....

I used to would have agreed with the width comment but after a few years with Rangers and RZRs I don't think it's a problem. Even my wide body Ranger goes through the tight trails. Height is more an issue than width. Instead of limbs whacking me in the head they whack the roll bar. I like it.

Yes....you can now just imagine yourself fitting through the bridge at Ferry or the landslide boulders on the Copper and it is so....Grasshopper....

we used to hunt with sportsman 500s pulling trailer to haul both camp and game out (when successful). When my wife got pregnant, i opted to sell the quads and get a Ranger. mostly because it was more capable to strap a carseat in and continue with my son along for the rides. That progressed into the Ranger 6x6. I feel it is the best equipped model for hunting. its not as fun as a Razr, its not as fast as a can-am, but for work/hunt it is hard to beat. No more need for pulling trailers, and that is when it really sets itself apart. saying a wheeler will go places a ranger will not just isnt accurate, especially when you factor out hauling gear. ive come across some pretty nasty swamps in the 6x6 loaded with a full moose, that a quad pulling a trailer just wont do.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

This coming hunting season will be the first time using the SxS and yes I have some concerns about how wide it is. We will see! I hope to get the Prowler out quite a bit this summer and really see what I can expect. I have noticed that the Prowler does 'appear' to be a little more stable. Where we hunt, there are some really steep climbs and I hope that the Prowler handles these without too much of an issue.

I had to relocate my XP Ranger a couple of weeks ago. Mostly wide open snowgo trails but there were a few miles of tight and twisty forest trails that I thought were certain trouble. I've ridden those trails for 25 years but never with a Ranger. Surprise, it was no problem other than a few low limbs slapping the windshield. My old Yamaha 4 wheeler came out that day. There's no question the Ranger is more comfy and warmer to drive. And that isn't lost on a wife, which explains why I did the swap-out. Most guys who try a side-by-side for the first real ride usually have the same comment. Why did I wait so long!

Bearcat, is that top a factory option or did a local shop make it?

Mr Pid, that is a factory soft top offered by Arctic Cat. It does have a couple 'draw backs', but for what we got this vehicle for it will do just fine. We did look at the hard top kit, but it was a few thousand dollars, that I was not willing to spend. We also have the heater kit installed. It will not keep one warm at any minus temps but it does provide some heat other wise, which will be nice during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Yes....you can now just imagine yourself fitting through the bridge at Ferry or the landslide boulders on the Copper and it is so....Grasshopper....
    So there are 2 trails you mentioned. Big deal. Plenty of others that are wide enough for any type of off road vehicle....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    So there are 2 trails you mentioned. Big deal. Plenty of others that are wide enough for any type of off road vehicle....
    Yeah and plenty that aren't...

Perhaps Im one of only a few that feel this way by the opinions I read here but the SxS thing doesnt excite me at all. I had a Ranger Xp for about a year and it couldnt have been loaded with anymore options than what it had...even had the option of tracks. It ended up not doing it for myself or my Wife, when out she would get bored with riding copilot and didnt care for driving it. It struggled with some of the places we like to take the 4 wheelers and proved to be a little top heavy at times, I found its tipping point more than once.
    I sold it and bought a Big Boss to go with our 4 wheelers, a much more logical choice for us anyway. To each his own but to those that say a SxS will go anywhere you can take a wheeler I disagree......not where we go anyway.

Everyone's opinion has merit. No single machine fits all users or uses. A guy needs to decide what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. I have a choice of machines to ride that covers the spectrum. If and when I buy a new machine? It'll be a new RZR. Way more fun factor and still good in the utility category. I still use my 6 wheeler but it lives in an environment that suits it. It hasn't seen town in 10 years. Rangers are comfy but I like the laid-back bucket seating in the RZR. It allows much more aggressive driving. Truth is I can find a way to have fun with any of them.

Attachment 77700 I love em. Theres no perfect machine, something will have its drawbacks somewhere. The fun part is finding out what they are so you can better suit your needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some like to go out for a drive (UTV/SXS), others like to go out for a ride (ATV)! It's all good either way, personally I enjoy going for a ride.