Thread: 85mm scopes

Default 85mm scopes

Does anyone pack around a 85mm objective scope? I am starting to research upgrading my 20+year old Nikon spotting scope and my 10 year old bushnell binoculars.

Even the lightweight 85mm scopes (ie. vortex) are over 4 POUNDS.......

i've carried my 80mm swaro before, and if you really want to see something good, its worth it. If you want lighter but the same optical quality, look into the swaro 65mm scopes. i wont say they are just as good, but they really are. you'll lose some low light due to the diameter, but its still swaro glass. you can find good deals on the non hd models and they are still better than alot of others

I packed my leica 82 mm last year and think it was worth every ounce. You never complain about to much scope but cuss your self when you just cant quite tell what you are looking at. I went from the 65 to the 82 and love the field of view.

Here's my set full complete set up: Swarovski STS 80 HD and cullman tripod, total wt: 5 lb. 9 oz.
    If you have the chance to roll with bigger glass do it !!!! you won't regret it, it will save you miles of walking at times, especially when judging marginal critters. Stid on here just bought a new 95 ATX, He know's alot about these spotters, might want to hit him up on what he says ....

Is he bringing a Sherpa to haul that 95?

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Here's my set full complete set up: Swarovski STS 80 HD and cullman tripod, total wt: 5 lb. 9 oz.
    If you have the chance to roll with bigger glass do it !!!! you won't regret it, it will save you miles of walking at times, especially when judging marginal critters. Stid on here just bought a new 95 ATX, He know's alot about these spotters, might want to hit him up on what he says ....

Henry Bowman for President

It is looking like I am going to go with the Vortex Razor HD in 20x60x80 and the 12x50 binos in the Razor too.

I'd really like to jump up to the swaro el range bino's but that isn't in my budget - not when I can get the scope, bino, and RF from vortex for the same price as just the bino's.

I will have to check out the cullman tripod. I know that the cheap pod I have won't hold an 80mm scope.

I am sure that these will be a large step up from my 20 yo Nikon spotter and my Bushnell Action IV zoom bino's.

I'm going against the grain here. I had an 85mm (zeiss) for several years. I like it a lot, but finally traded back down to a 62mm this year. The big 85 was great for the glassing intensive stuff, but took up most of my day pack and got left at home too many times for that reason. It's nice to tuck the smaller spotters in my pack even when just going on a summer scouting hike or a weekend moose hunt, and the 85 just wasn't friendly that way.

For mixed bag hunting, there is a lot to be said for the 65 class. For a big scope, the 80mm Swaro is surprisingly light and compact.

Ideally I'd like to have both sizes, but that might be a few more years.

Yk

I fat fingered the objective size. It is 85. If they made something more than 48X in the 65mm I would probably go with that..... It is 48.4oz instead of 65.7........definitely something that I have been thinking about.

I'd like to suggest a smaller and lighter bino if your choosing to use the big 80. My experience is that once you've found a critter your clamoring to get that big optic you've been lugging around out.

I have pretty good vision and until the last couple years had no real use for an 8x binocular....literally I could spot game quicker with my naked eye than with someone using using an 8x bino.

So, this past experience leads me to a 12x bino after comparing the weights. I know that in sheep hunting that I will have to get the spotter out unless we find a HOG.

12x50 = 28.7oz
    10x50 = 28.1oz
    10x42 = 24.8oz

Also -- the rifle that I will be taking has a variable scope that goes up to 14x. Now - you can rip on me if you want, but I do often use my rifle scope to view objects that I have found with my naked eye to verify whether it is a critter or not. I have even been knows to just leave my bino's behind and use my scope.

With white sheep, leaving the binos behind is definitely an option for me - but the spotter comes with for sure.

Leica 77 here...been lugging it around for years. Spoils you, the clarity, field of view and light gathering is hard to give up.

I went from a 65mm Swaro HD 20-60 to a Zeiss 20-75X with 85mm objective. No regrets at all!!! The 75X is nice when you can use the extra zoom and i find I am able to take advantage of that extra zoom a lot more than I thought I could. I'm roughly 6.5 pounds with spotter/tripod though and that is about a pound more than my sheep hunting rifle.

Lots of good info here! I am torn to what to do. I had my 62 Leica side by side with the 77 and didn't really see the advantages to go bigger.

I looked through both of my choices yesterday at cabelas. Except they only had the angled version of the spotter. My mind is made up. I really liked them both.

My mule (son) backed out on me for this fall's sheep trip so now I am again wondering how to get my pack weight down. Mostly I will be going Spartan on everything except glass!