Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Holing

Default Low Holing

Low Holing

When a fisherman jumps ahead of you in the next fishing hole or the current fishing hole you are in, potentially catching your fish.

Don't be a D-Bag and low hole people. Start at the top of the run and wait your turn. There's an etiquette in certain sports and in sport fishing Low Holing is like talking in the back swing of a Golfer teeing off. If someone is camping on a spot ask if its alright to take a run through the hole after they take a pass. If someone is on a Bar or in a Hole you wanna fish, tough ****. Wait your turn or move on. Try to show a little respect to your fellow fisherman.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Well said. Had this happen several times fishing the Russian. The worst was when I was fishing a hole with my girlfriend and two of my other friends, in a spot just big enough for the four of us when a group of 5-6 "fisherman" armed with beer bandoliers step right in between us. Drifting into our lines, standing inbetween my girlfriend and i and between my other friends, while a few of them stood on shore drinking their beers. I also noticed I had seen this same group of people leaving the river 3 hours ago with their limits. So they were double dipping.

Well free country got to learn to blitz in than out. nothing worse watching noobs taking all day to catch a red when u can see it. should only take 30 sec to hook it if u can see it . so step in and show them than move on.i guess you guys dont like Jack***** the movie. i love it when they mess with golfers. Why so serious. Fishing should be fun. better than work any day
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Fishing should be fun.
    Sounds like you're having fun. Can't say that for anyone near you. Raise your hand when you show up on the water, and I'll give it all to you. Then you'll go back home and everyone else can go back to respectful ways.

Default Low Holing

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Well free country got to learn to blitz in than out. nothing worse watching noobs taking all day to catch a red when u can see it. should only take 30 sec to hook it if u can see it . so step in and show them than move on.i guess you guys dont like Jack***** the movie. i love it when they mess with golfers. Why so serious. Fishing should be fun. better than work any day
    Who made you the fishing instructor? Give people their space and wait your turn or move on and find another Hole since you are so **** good at slaying fish. Your mentality and actions takes the fun out of the sport for others. It's just plain disrespectful of others space and time.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Going past someone to the next hole is not low holing that is just moving on to the next open water. If that up sets you then move on before the next guy does, and just have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Going past someone to the next hole is not low holing that is just moving on to the next open water. If that up sets you then move on before the next guy does, and just have fun.
    I'm just putting it out there as an educational, thought provoking, thread, in hopes that some Forum Troller reads it and may think, "Am I a Low Holer"? Hopefully this thread sits with someone,(guide, local, tourist, whomever), and the next time they want to plop in on someone's party they decide to wait their turn or move on to find another piece of paradise to enjoy.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Haha huge difference between the fly and the freshwater forum responses! I didn't think it would be such a huge difference in the responses! Real classy. This is why I built a boat to get away from everyone and probably won't fish the russian once this year..

Oh and BTW, Low holers suck!

Abe Lincoln was right; "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

As to low hole wild, it will always be that; wild. I've spent over two decades in research and observation. There are some great fishers out there in terms of behavior, and then there are others not so great. It simply will not change. If you think you can boat your way out of it then guess again, I've observed the same nonsense while at the helm; it goes on out there as well.

Life is too short. Move on and move away from disparaging behavior and enjoy your day.

The only place I've ever observed this not to happen, EVER, is in England. There, you pay a hefty membership fee after you are INVITED to join an exclusive stream-side club. You are assigned a zone and your behavior is monitored by a "keeper" that the club employs. Misbehave and you are ejected, FOREVER, and you will then become blacklisted and no other club will ever let you in. You must wear a tie when you fish and you can't keep anything.

Lincoln had no problem. He was 6'4" by age 16 and the waters he fished outside of Springfield were unpolluted and full of fish. He took all them down with a cane pole and a wiggle worm...

Rosenberg; Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Well Bernard, that is what happens when there are too many folks for a common resource, it becomes exclusive, or jam packed.

I worked in fisheries in Bristol Bay sportfishing for 7 years and it was amazing how even in a place like that, folks that were used to crowded places had no problem getting well within what I thought was proper etiquette. However, I knew enough to know that there are many good spots around and so I would go there and catch fish.....usually within sight of the interlopers....just to spite them. Now, this only works if there actually is open water around.....not so easy in some places (Kenai, Russian or you pick your own roadside system that has fish and access).

Welcome to AK.....at least the roadside version of it. I'd love to yes, it's bad, no, people shouldn't do it. BUt, if there is little other decent water around and a guy is there to fish, and it's either low hole, sit there with a thumb up his butt, or go home, he's gonna step right in.

I personally would strap up the boots and find other water if someone is on my hole, but like many on here I am an experienced and confident fishermen (who is also old enough to enjoy the fishing as much as the catching) so for me it's no big whoop. Take a newbie that has little experience, has caught fish there before, doesn't know enough to know how to explore, or is perhaps just lazy......and you is gonna have some company.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    Well said. Had this happen several times fishing the Russian. The worst was when I was fishing a hole with my girlfriend and two of my other friends, in a spot just big enough for the four of us when a group of 5-6 "fisherman" armed with beer bandoliers step right in between us. Drifting into our lines, standing inbetween my girlfriend and i and between my other friends, while a few of them stood on shore drinking their beers. I also noticed I had seen this same group of people leaving the river 3 hours ago with their limits. So they were double dipping.
    When fishing the Russian, or most other road accessible areas, you need to have zero expectations of solitude. It's just how it is. You can hope that folks are respectful and friendly, but regardless of their demeanor, fishing KP streams is a social experience first, fishing experience second.

I only fish most popular road accessible salmon streams in the fall anymore. Can't stand the sh*t-show they've become.

I can't explain it but the sudden appearance of great numbers of fish seems to unleash the inner *****hole in a lot of people.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Ya, i'm with ya Erik. It is entertaining watching tho, like going to the boat ramp in the the Lower 48 on Memorial Day and 4th of July. Always a site.

After 30 years of fanatically fishing year round in Southcentral, I've seen it all. Yes, there are times and places where you cannot avoid crowds or being low holed, such as the Russian River, Ship Creek, or anywhere on the Kenai during the second run of sockeye. I'm ok with that in these circumstances and I'll gladly fish elbow to elbow. But, there are other times and places where this is not acceptable. If I hike four miles up a stream and find my own hole with nobody in site for miles and you come walking up hours later and see me catching fish after fish and decide to stand ten feet below me, you will get an ear full from me. There are miles of river above and below me, go there. When I'm hiking upstream, if I see you fishing and your catching fish after fish, you will never see me. I will purposely walk around you in the woods so you will never know I'm there. I don't want to ruin your solitude. Again, there is a time and a place when crowds and low holing is acceptable and others when it's not. In regards to fishing, my father taught me common sense and ethics, which presently for some is in short supply.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

You can't get away from it, even in the ocean. It always makes my day when I am out in the middle of nowhere, no boats in sight and anchored, and one boat comes into view and anchors up right on top of you. I even had this a couple of summers ago where I picked a top I saw on my charts, took some time and looked at the structure and bait and anchored up where I thought was good. An hour later a big charter boat comes and parks right on top of me. We were about done so it was not worth the aggravation, but I really wonder what he was thinking and how he thought that was OK.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Whether on a river bank, lake ice, or out on the bay, I come up to folks and ask them how they are doing. If they are catching, and they seem amenable, I ask them if it is OK for me to anchor/or locate a ways from them and fish too. If I pick up negative vibes, I move on. But it amazes me that most of the time folks are happy to share their spot and visit back and forth a bit. I've even had people give me a particular lure, their special eggs, or other bait.

I consider fishing a social activity.

I have experienced pushy, take-over folks too. I make my distaste obvious and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Whether on a river bank, lake ice, or out on the bay, I come up to folks and ask them how they are doing. If they are catching, and they seem amenable, I ask them if it is OK for me to anchor/or locate a ways from them and fish too. If I pick up negative vibes, I move on. But it amazes me that most of the time folks are happy to share their spot and visit back and forth a bit. I've even had people give me a particular lure, their special eggs, or other bait.

I consider fishing a social activity.

I have experienced pushy, take-over folks too. I make my distaste obvious and move on.
    Through the years I've had inexperienced fisherman notice me catching fish after fish. Some will quietly sit down and watch from a distance. After awhile they will walk up and ask some questions. If they are polite, I will give them a handfull of whatever fly I'm using and explain how I'm fishing it. More times than not, I will let them fish right in my hole as I walk them through the techniques until they catch a fish. If that same person was to just walk right up in a rude fashion and try to push me out of the hole or they get in my drift, well I won't be so accomodating to say the least. Every year I give out dozens upon dozens of flies, beads, nymphs etc. to strangers. I will do everything in my power to get a stranger into fish. On the other hand, if your an a-hole on the river, then I can be the biggest a-hole you every met.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Through the years I've had inexperienced fisherman notice me catching fish after fish. Some will quietly sit down and watch from a distance. After awhile they will walk up and ask some questions. If they are polite, I will give them a handfull of whatever fly I'm using and explain how I'm fishing it. More times than not, I will let them fish right in my hole as I walk them through the techniques until they catch a fish. If that same person was to just walk right up in a rude fashion and try to push me out of the hole or they get in my drift, well I won't be so accomodating to say the least. Every year I give out dozens upon dozens of flies, beads, nymphs etc. to strangers. I will do everything in my power to get a stranger into fish. On the other hand, if your an a-hole on the river, then I can be the biggest a-hole you every met.
    I may have been one of those that sat quietly and watching you, Fishgod. But you were wearing a different top than the one in your avatar. I learned a lot. I was to shy to say hi. And..... That wasn't a fillet knife.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Ha! I'm surprised I was wearing any top. I usually fly-fish naked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast