Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewescraft Ocean Pro or Searunner

Default Hewescraft Ocean Pro or Searunner

Was wondering who owns one and how has it held up? Would you buy another one? Thanks.

I used to own an Ocean Pro, sold it, and have regretted it ever since. There is a world of a difference between the two boats. The OP being wider is more stable at rest (camping, crabbing, halibut fishing) and when trolling. Both boats are beachable but the OP is the largest boat you want to beach that isn't a landing craft.

150hp is the minimum but really good on fuel and performs well. That is what I had, but if I get another it will have either the Yamaha F200 inline four or some 250hp boat for a faster cruise speed.

Sobie2

I had a SeaRunner prior to my SeaSport. The SeaRunner is a solid boat-nothing fancy but it will get the job done. DO NOT go with what the local dealer will tell you about the F115 being enough for this boat. Unless you are out in this boat with just you and a Chihuahua the F115 is going to be way too small. I'd say the F150 would be a minimum and the 200 would be more than enough (which is what you want in an ocean boat). With four guys, one dog (a Lab) and all our decoys and gear the 115 was way too small. I've never been on an Ocean Pro but BIGGER is ALWAYS better when it come to snotty weather. If you go with the SeaRunner make sure that the foam below the cockpit isn't soaked. Mine was after about a year of use (due to no drains on the stringers-which Hewescraft paid to have fixed) and it smelled bad enough that my dog looked at me funny when we got in the boat.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I have an ocean pro and i think for day trip fishing it's a good boat. It trailers good, fuel efficient, fishes 4 really well, rides moderate seas pretty good. Cons, it's small for over night trips as the bed sleeps only one comfortably, a second person can sleep on the floor on a sleeping pad, it's not a big water boat, it handles swells just fine, but is dangerous in the big chop, it has a low now and no self bailing deck. Overall, I'm very happy with it, would recommend it to anyone, and it's a very efficient boat

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide between the Hewes and 20' PH Wooldridge. Like the cuddy in the Woolie but it only has a 30 degree bow entry vs. 35 for the Hewes. Although not sure how much of a difference 5 degrees would make. Then again 5 degrees on a transom will make a pretty big difference.

Two totally different animals.

You need to compare the Wooldridge SS Offshore to the OceanPro, or the 20' PH to the Raider 2284 Cuddy or Hewescracft 220 Pacific Cruiser. I think you would have 2' itis with the 20'PH because in all the photos you can see Grant looks cramped. The boat is a compromise of space and money.

Sobie2

Definitely go 22....24 if you can. And put a 200 hp outboard on it. I've got the 2284 Raider (not the cuddy) it is a monster for a 22 foot boat as far as ride and safety. The upswept bow compared to the Hewes is truly significant if you get out in the snot. It's dimensions other than the bow are very like the Ocean Pro.

The issue you would have with a 20 foot cuddy, or even a 22, is that like most mashups, it's not as good as a similar boat that is either all cabin, or all day tripper. My Raider with a 225 Yamaha is a fantastic day tripper, sleeps two okay but it requires extreme organization and minimal gear to make it fun. It's fast, efficient enough for what it can do and handle, and is a joy to fish out of with a big deck and deep sides for safety. Fishing out of a smaller cuddy is often a cramped deck, a somewhat cramped cabin, and it still costs a mint.

Scratch the SeaRunner, for not that much more, you got a LOT more boat in Ocean Pro or a Raider 2284. Obviously I'm partial to what I've got but it really is a fishing machine and a joy to drive, trailer and maintain.

I had a 22' Ocean Pro, but sold it last summer when I moved south. I really miss that boat. It would handle a lot of rough weather. I has a deeper V, is wider, and has higher sides than the Searunner.

I had a Honda 150, but if I could have afforded it, I would have gone bigger. The 150 is definitely the minimum. I've been in some nasty weather and wished I had more power. Although the staff at the Hewes factory are really nice to work with over the phone, their warranties are horrible. Shortly after I bought the boat, the seals around the front window started leaking water. It had only been a short period of time (maybe two months), and the warranty was up and would no longer cover the leaky windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    I had a 22' Ocean Pro, but sold it last summer when I moved south. I really miss that boat. It would handle a lot of rough weather. I has a deeper V, is wider, and has higher sides than the Searunner.

I had a Honda 150, but if I could have afforded it, I would have gone bigger. The 150 is definitely the minimum. I've been in some nasty weather and wished I had more power. Although the staff at the Hewes factory are really nice to work with over the phone, their warranties are horrible. Shortly after I bought the boat, the seals around the front window started leaking water. It had only been a short period of time (maybe two months), and the warranty was up and would no longer cover the leaky windows.
    Yet another reason to do business with Wooldridge if your over a barrel between two brands....NEVER heard of anyone complaining about their customer service. Hands down, one of the best boat builders to deal with.
    BK

My buddy has a 22ft Sea Runner with a 115yamy on it. Its a great boat and the 115 does OK. I would put a 150 on it but for what we use it for it works great. Bigger is ALWAYS better on the water but then again you have to tow it. park it and pay for the gas for it. One of his buddies has a 28ft that has twin 250s on it and while it is a great boat his F-350 has its hands full. Also a long day of fishing uses a heck of a lot of fuel compared to the single 115. He also tow his 22ft Sea Runner with his F150 and has plenty of truck to pull it. There are trade offs with everything

Don't have a 22' but have a 24' Searunner. Mine is an older model (2001) but I can't say enough good about it. I run mine about 700 hrs a summer as a water taxi. It still has the original f100's which are fantastic on fuel. I've had it loaded in some serious slop and have never felt unsafe in it.
    Have not buried the bow nor have taken any waves into the back deck area. The low center of gravity, good sea manners, speed & economy make it hard to beat.
    I also run it constantly (slowly of course) onto rock, sand, & gravel beaches to load/offload passengers & gear. It works well for it as we built & welded a custom bow ladder for that purpose. All in all a great boat.
    Like others have said; don't skimp on hp on a single motor application. The 100's I have seem to defy logic as one might think it would need more ponies but it just works well for the boat either completely empty or loaded with 6 passengers, 3 kayaks on hrs roof, and the back deck completely piled with camping gear to gunnel height (have pics
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Hewes because I make my living with one and it works.

Note: for existing Hewes owners; pull up the rear deck and inspect for the possibility of wet, saturated foam. I replaced the deck on mine because I hated that cheap vinyl covered plywood. I replaced my deck with 3/4 ply encapsulated on all sides with Speedliner (like rhino lining) and caulked in all the seams and where the deck meets the sides of the hull. Much better than what the factory does.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by VC805 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide between the Hewes and 20' PH Wooldridge. Like the cuddy in the Woolie but it only has a 30 degree bow entry vs. 35 for the Hewes. Although not sure how much of a difference 5 degrees would make. Then again 5 degrees on a transom will make a pretty big difference.
    Sounds like your budget won't allow for a larger boat so make the most of your $$$$$$$ with the Wooldridge 20 PH that is exactly what this boat was designed for the most bang for your $$$ with a cuddy, stand up head, sink,great fuel mileage, still handles moderate seas with 18deg transom 4 more deg than the hews, and still room out back to fish. Sure there are boats with more room but they cost more $$$$. Look at resale down the road as well, how much do you loose after one year in the brand you purchase per the blue book. There is a guy on the Wooldridge "out and about page" and Facebook page with some stories of his 20 PH in PWS, not sure if he is on here you could get ahold of him for some real world input.

I believe forum member Kaisersosei ,said it best from your earlier post "I had a 23 foot Wooly PH and numerous other ocean boats and have ridden in many others. IMHO the Wooly rides better than Kingfishers through chops, gets better mileage than Hewes and is probably the best all-around boat in a smaller size alloy boat. Not the cheapest but a good value considering factory service and efficiency. I miss my little Wooley..".

Oh I've talked to a lot of Woolie owners including the persons you mentioned. But it's still a process and want to get as much info as possible. Having said that, I've pretty much made up my mind but not crazy about the idea of having to wait until late this year to get the boat (if then). I guess it's kind of an instant gratification thing lol. Wife asked about resale as well and she saw the factory and was impressed with the finished product. While she may not be a boater she's looked at a fair amount of boats over the years and the Wooldridge is probably at the top of her list.

Since the boat won't be used exclusively for the ocean and I trailer long distances to fish freshwater, weight is an issue. Although money is a factor as well. OK a big factor! But weight really is one too. I may end up with a Super Sport Offshore with cabin but designed with a forward leaning windshield. Will see.

VC,
    PM me if you have any Q's on the Wooly PH.
    Also, what is your location?
    BK

Sounds like you are set on your path - and a good one it sounds.

I have a 2006 18' searunner with a 90 yammie on the stern. She is a great little boat. A little under powered if you overload it - which I tend to do, but know that I should not. She has a 200 mile range with a 52 gallon tank. I can run out to montie from Whittier on a fair weather day and have fuel left in the tank with 4 guys and fishing gear. I went to port chalmers last summer for 3 days, fished around green and the needles and came back in some 5' slop between knight and perry and had fuel left over and we were heavy heavy.

I have 4 footitis and not sure what I will move up into when I do, but I know one thing for sure - I will miss the fuel economy and ease of towing that I have right now.

Don't wait to long when thinking about a new Wooldridge, they are extremely busy now. I believe their lead time on a new boat is October as of a week ago when I checked.
    Used Pilot House models are hard to find there is one at this dealership that has not ben advertised yet. This is there demo boat never seen salt just used on the lake it will have a new EZ Loader trailer and a new Honda outboard on it.

The boat is several years old a 23ft Pilothouse with the dinette, 2 truck seats and a 3ft bench seat on the drivers side. I believe it will be in the $75-80,000.00 range depending on options they said they could add an Espar heater to it.
    From the looks of all the offshore boats they are building the bigger 24-30ft ones seem to eat up a bunch of time.
    Bunch of nice photos here
    http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=4&t=4425

Used 23 pilot house
    http://www.hopemarine.com/boat_sales.html

What size boat does the dealer have for sale? Is it at Hope Marine? Their website doesn't show anything except a used Bayliner.

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Don't wait to long when thinking about a new Wooldridge, they are extremely busy now. I believe their lead time on a new boat is October as of a week ago when I checked.
    Used Pilot House models are hard to find there is one at this dealership that has not ben advertised yet. This is there demo boat never seen salt just used on the lake it will have a new EZ Loader trailer and a new Honda outboard on it.

The boat is several years old a 23ft Pilothouse with the dinette, 2 truck seats and a 3ft bench seat on the drivers side. I believe it will be in the $75-80,000.00 range depending on options they said they could add an Espar heater to it.
    From the looks of all the offshore boats they are building the bigger 24-30ft ones seem to eat up a bunch of time.
    Bunch of nice photos here
    http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/vi...php?f=4&t=4425

Used 23 pilot house
    http://www.hopemarine.com/boat_sales.html

What size boat does the dealer have for sale? Is it at Hope Marine? Their website doesn't show anything except a used Bayliner.
    Yes it's at hope marine 23ft pilot. The boat is not on their website yet.

Thanks. I actually called them up yesterday. I think their boat is a pretty good deal but it's still more than I want to pay and tow with my current tow vehicle.

Thanks. I actually called them up yesterday. I think their boat is a pretty good deal but it's still more than I want to pay and tow with my current tow vehicle.
    What's your tow vehicle? I'm guessing it's a half ton truck. I've towed both a Hewescraft Ocean Pro and a Hewescraft 26ft Pacific Cruiser with a Nissan Titan. I had airbags on the back and it pulled it just fine. I'm just trying to say that a half ton truck can pull a 23ft Wooldridge Pilothouse no problem. I wouldn't worry too much about that if you're considering a Searunner or Ocean Pro given the Ocean Pro is only about 800lbs lighter. In my opinion it's more important to consider what you want in a boat as these are considerably different boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast