Thread: Kenai Canyon

Default Kenai Canyon

Does the fishing (trout and salmon) in the canyon justify the expense of a motor mount and outboard for Skilak Lake? I floated that part of the river in 1988 and again in 1995, but did not fish while in the canyon.

82 miles of river. You decide if its worth your time or money.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
    Does the fishing (trout and salmon) in the canyon justify the expense of a motor mount and outboard for Skilak Lake? I floated that part of the river in 1988 and again in 1995, but did not fish while in the canyon.
    No- but the 7 mile row to the upper lake takeout does...

Smart ass comments like yours are absurd. It is painfully obvious that you have no experience but a big mouth to contribute to the question. Get a life and I hope that you surly attitude is rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    82 miles of river. You decide if its worth your time or money.

There are other places that justify the motor. The canyon is just nice to do every few years.

Default Kenai Canyon

Smart ass comments like yours are absurd. It is painfully obvious that you have no experience but a big mouth to contribute to the question. Get a life and I hope that you surly attitude is rewarded.
    Dumb ass absurd questions like yours get smart ass comments. Ask yourself, do I want to row seven miles across a lake so I can fish a stretch of river? Does that stretch of river have fish that I want to catch? Also am I even skilled enough to row that section of river and if the weather comes up can I handle tacking across Skilak Lake without flipping and drowning? Even asking a question like this would tell me that you don't have the experience to handle that section of river. Is it worth it to buy a motor to fish that section of river? Yes it is but it has its dangers. Boats are lost in there every year. Use your brain or a search engine before asking asinine questions.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Man you all the sun is shining right? No need for comments and retorts accusing anyone of anything besides we all take turns in the sun and making far left and right comments when in fact all people are butt nuggets and idiots at some point in their lives! Today is my day I commented on this thread! Here is my sign! Life is Short!!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Geez dude, relax a little.

Look pal, asking if the fishing was worth it was the question. If you would have read the remainder, it indicates that I have floated the river and it indicates that I have made the row. Why you read beyond that is ridiculous. Maybe because you don't feel that you are experienced enough to float a class II to II river and assume that everyone else is like you is simply wrong. I know what fish are in the Kenai, maybe you don't. I didn't ask what species were present and didn't say that I needed advice as to whether the row was worth it. I asked about the fishing period and if it was sufficient to justify going to the expense of purchasing a specific outboard for that specific purpose. It implied that I didn't care to row the lake - I have and obviously don't want to do it again.

Civility is something that many people lack today and the freedom many people feel they have to ridicule others is out of bounds. It is easy to be a wise guy when one can hide behind a computer monitor and the power they feel with a keyboard under the fingers is misplaced.

You could have simply said the fishing is not worth the expense of an outboard in your opinion. BTW, I have had years of experience on Class IV and V rivers and I would never had assumed that someone who asks a question about fishing was an indictment about a lack of experience.

I apologize for the use of the words "smart ass" but I certainly don't apologize for calling you out. Your comments are condescending and precocious, and did nothing to answer a question but did cause a reaction that doesn't promote the purpose of this forum.

Try to assume some manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Dumb ass absurd questions like yours get smart ass comments. Ask yourself, do I want to row seven miles across a lake so I can fish a stretch of river? Does that stretch of river have fish that I want to catch? Also am I even skilled enough to row that section of river and if the weather comes up can I handle tacking across Skilak Lake without flipping and drowning? Even asking a question like this would tell me that you don't have the experience to handle that section of river. Is it worth it to buy a motor to fish that section of river? Yes it is but it has its dangers. Boats are lost in there every year. Use your brain or a search engine before asking asinine questions.

Thanks. I have seen other rafts do the float but have always wondered if the fishing in the canyon was significantly better.

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.D. View Post
    There are other places that justify the motor. The canyon is just nice to do every few years.

Thanks for the advice and you are certainly right the row in and of itself justifies it!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    No- but the 7 mile row to the upper lake takeout does...

Never in a million years would I buy another motor so I can fish the canyon. Waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see Spring is in the air here, too!

That is the kind of advice I was looking for. I had always wondered what the fishing was like in the canyon and if it justified having an outboard to avoid the long row in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by dmahay View Post
    Never in a million years would I buy another motor so I can fish the canyon. Waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe try going up from the inlet side…………that might cause you to get a real boat! LOL In all seriousness maybe try going across the lake to the inlet and going up stream a bit. That might cause for the need to get a motor or a different boat. I also disagree, I think fishing the canyon can be great and even worth the hike in if you don't have a boat, or worth the row and buying a motor, but that is my two cents.

Excellent points. I have hiked in from Skilak Road and fished upstream a for several hundred years in the 90s and did pretty well on rainbows, but have never fished while rafting past Jim's Landing through the canyon. I have seen others doing it with outboards on their rafts and have always wondered how they did. I would give anything for good fishing with a littleness competition!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    maybe try going up from the inlet side…………that might cause you to get a real boat! LOL In all seriousness maybe try going across the lake to the inlet and going up stream a bit. That might cause for the need to get a motor or a different boat. I also disagree, I think fishing the canyon can be great and even worth the hike in if you don't have a boat, or worth the row and buying a motor, but that is my two cents.