Thread: Wrong runway!!!!

Default Wrong runway!!!!

Working on Short Field landings today at PABV before my long cross country to Homer when I had an interesting experience.

I had been in the patter for 20R for two landings and I'm in the Right downwind for 20R and a plane calls Right downwind 20R as well. I can't see him so with eyes outside I make my turn to base and to final and never lay eyes on the guy, yet he calls his turn to base when I make my turn to final and after I touch down what do I see but this guy is actually on 02L coming in on final straight at me..... I announced our position on the runway and that he is on 02L not 20R.... He says I can land short of you...... I quickly back taxied to Foxtrot and got out of this guys way...

Amazing.. But I can see the problem with runways named similar 02L/20R.. Just be careful and make sure your calling the correct runway upon approach.

Oh ya there is also another pilot that likes to call long finals... 3-5 miles at PABV..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of training going on at Birchwood will only get worse as weather improves and people come out to shake out the cobwebs. It is very easy to screw up the runway numbers. If you find yourself in the pattern (or anywhere else ) and cannot find an aircraft calling the same location as yourself, consider changing terms. Say "landing to the south" or "flying upriver/downriver" this will often clear up the issue. All so I have been seeing more planes doing left traffic on 20R. They are not regulars so not unaware of pattern just be on the lookout for them. The Pattern changes there several times a day so stay on your toes. Have fun on the cross country.
    DENNY

And it can happpen anyplace. I was once landing a C-180 at South Lake Tahoe, on a really short final, when I looked up to see a Beechcraft Bonanza bearing down on me from the other direction. I flashed the landing lights and he climbed and turned. He hadn't used his radio at all, apparently thinking he was the only airplane in the air just then. DON'T BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS !!!

Good advise from boneguy, your doing good , good choice clearing the rwy. You seem to be making good decisions, keep up the good work. I always try to remember my wife's saying: there are many rights worth dying for, the right of way isn't one of them. Enjoy your X/C , they will be the best of your flying career. Tom

Supporting Member

Had this happen many times in the past. I was on final to Angoon harbor, made all my calls on the CTAF, and had a guy out of Sitka almost cut me off on short final...he wasn't talking on the right freq and I doubt he even saw me. I pulled off my approach and got the hell out of his way, then came back around and landed. He'd dropped off his pax at the dock and was blasting away as I was taxiing in. Also, Ketchikan and Juneau have special traffic patterns for floatplanes and tour traffic, and invariably, you'll have some guy from out of town blasting directly at you "backwards" in the pattern. You should always expect the unexpected and keep your eyes outside and head on a swivel. Only way to stay alive if you keep at this flying business for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Lots of training going on at Birchwood will only get worse as weather improves and people come out to shake out the cobwebs. It is very easy to screw up the runway numbers. If you find yourself in the pattern (or anywhere else ) and cannot find an aircraft calling the same location as yourself, consider changing terms. Say "landing to the south" or "flying upriver/downriver" this will often clear up the issue. All so I have been seeing more planes doing left traffic on 20R. They are not regulars so not unaware of pattern just be on the lookout for them. The Pattern changes there several times a day so stay on your toes. Have fun on the cross country.
    DENNY
    I've noticed at Birchwood that when the wind is calm and you can land either way that almost always everyone is taking off on Runway 20R instead of 02L where you can take off without the sun glaring in your face. I have come in on approach wanting to use 02L but instead stayed in the pattern with the others. What's up with that?

I had a helicopter announce the wrong airport. That was interesting. Announced land at willow for the fuel dock. Landed at PAWS at the fuel dock. Then proceeded to fuel up and then hover at the taxi way mid field and make for a rough time getting around him
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

fixating on a task or tasks sets a pilot up for miscommunication. No one is immune. All the more reason to keep an "eagle eye".

As for the pilot calling long finals he should be making progressive reports as well.

[QUOTE=Tcraft;1382066]fixating on a task or tasks sets a pilot up for miscommunication. No one is immune. All the more reason to keep an "eagle eye".

As for the pilot calling long finals he should be making progressive reports as well.[/QUOT

What's the penchant for long, straight-in finals, anyway? It's doubtful that most of those clowns could make the runway in case of an engine failure, at any rate ..............

If I'm coming in to BCV from the Knik valley, I'll fly a long staight-in final to 20... It's doubtful that making a bunch of dog legs and entering on a 45 to the downwind over the inlet will improve my chances of making the runway. Just sayin.

ETA: Its not me calling long finals though... I don't talk on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingprosaria View Post
    If I'm coming in to BCV from the Knik valley, I'll fly a long staight-in final to 20... It's doubtful that making a bunch of dog legs and entering on a 45 to the downwind over the inlet will improve my chances of making the runway. Just sayin.

ETA: Its not me calling long finals though... I don't talk on the radio.
    But at least you'll be over the cold water of the inlet…??? I'm sure our friend is within glide to the field all the way through the pattern tho…

Its pretty dang common to fly the coast straight in from the north. Dare I say the majority of folks do when coming in from north... Because its sensible and safe. Call 5 miles, 3 miles, 1 mile etc. Integrate with flow and land. Not complicated. Doesn't seem to be a problem…..for the last 15 years…..
    I'm probably wrong and about to be enlightened.