Thread: squid for halibut?

Question squid for halibut?

Rainy day here, so I tied this squid pattern thinking I might try it on some halibut, but I've never done any saltwater fly fishing. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Squid #1 .jpg  

Can't see why it wouldn't work, though I've had my best luck on white squids, especially with a few strips of glow Flashabou in them. It's sure worth putting a weedless loop on them, because anything down there from rocks to seaweed to barnacles is going to grab a fly, and you won't have much luck freeing it with a fly rod.

Nice looking fly! And it just might be a dandy color. Just haven't tried it. The form sure looks good!

Bear,
    Thanks for the critique, excellent suggestions. Yeah, I have no idea what effect the color might have, and I know white/clear are a bit more typical. I'll have to try that color combo. It has a trailer hook, so I think I'll increase the size, dress it with a bit of short marabou and then make it weedless. You got me thinking now! Thanks a lot for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    It has a trailer hook....
    Trailers work, but the way halibut suck in a fly they're not really needed. I get real twitchy about free hooks around halibut heads when they're flailing on deck. I've seen some NASTY accidents happen in the mayhem of subduing the fish, on fish you plan to keep, but even worse on those that you're unhooking for release. Use em if you want, but watchyerbackside. And you hands. And your feet and legs!

okay, XXX the trailer hooks! Bear, what do you think about a very large tube fly? By design, you're getting the trailer hook, maybe a decent size circle hook and a tube that can easily be slid up out of the way to easily deal with the unhooking? Hey, this may all be a mute point if nothing is hooked I guess!

Ought to be fine with a weedless loop. I wouldn't bother with the circle, but that's my choice for hook sets with fly rods.

No worries about it being academic.... Put one of those squid in front of halibut, and odds are good that mouths will open.

I tried the circle hook thing when I first did halibut on a fly and it was low-percentage for me. I went back to a standard J and hook ups increased nicely.

Kodiak, Can I ask what length were the flies you used and what type & size hook? Thanks. I tied up another one today which I will be posting photos of. Crazy looking fly that I'm guessing will not be great to cast, but maybe a 2-handed spey cast will do the trick with a good length of some Rio T14 to get down. Don't know, but will try anyhow. Unfortunately, my spring trip this year looks like it might be getting postponed until September and from all that I've read about fly fishing for halibut, it is spring when the smaller halibut might be found in shallower waters. Again, I'm totally in the dark here, so any suggestions or fly critiques will be greatly appreciated.

Late August, early September is peak for our haibut fly fishing. We find them shallowest then, and not just the little guys. Two years ago I was tossing #2 Clausers about 3" long to chums in a shallow bay, and my granddaughter spotted a "small" halibut on bottom below us in 13' of water according to the fathometer. Dangled the Clauser in front of it, and instant take. The "little" halibut was the result of diffraction or something, because it tipped the scale at 78#. Kind of a wild ride on the 8-weight I was tossing!

That was the exception though. Mostly we expect to start seeing good numbers until the water is 30-40'. Spring, they're down lots deeper, and it's more stunt than sport to hook up with them much past 60'.

Kodiak, Can I ask what length were the flies you used and what type & size hook? Thanks.
    All sizes. So many things eat squid, and there's so much ground to be covered with an ambiguous fly in pale colors. I've done squid patterns up to 15" for halibut, down to just a couple inches long for salmon or rockfish or whatever wants to eat them. Your flies look great. I've never messed with the fins, and normally just work on the tentacles and an eye toward the rear.

I like it.
    If you're looking for ideas though-

I think I would either tie it on a long tube OR articulate it, putting the eyes on the front end of the trailing hook. I'd use big down turned shanks, pointy end up. Eyes on bottom to keel it. Probably have to use wire on the articulation to keep it pretty stiff, wouldn't want it getting too crazy down there. Be worth trying to see how it comes out anyway.

icb - any chance you could give me a sketch of what you're describing? I'm always up for a challenge and new ideas began to swirl.

icb - any chance you could give me a sketch of what you're describing? I'm always up for a challenge and new ideas began to swirl.
    Of course. My artistic talents know no bounds.
    As requested.

GREAT DRAWING ON YOUR FISHERMAN IN ACTION!! AND, FULLY GEARED WITH A 6-PACK (OBVIOUSLY HE HAS ALREADY HAD 3 HENCE ONLY 3 CANS DRAWN)!! Seriously, I will tie up one of your design and post a pic next week.