Thread: Drift Boat on the Matanuska River?

Default Drift Boat on the Matanuska River?

Has anyone had any experience floating the Matanuska from Chickaloon River down to the Old Glenn Highway take out. I drew the DM408 this year and my son and I would like to utilize my Willie 17x54 DB if possible. I live on the KP and am not familiar with the river. I plan to scout the area this summer via the river. People I have talked to up to this point have said that it is very doable and that I can avoid trouble spots fairly easy? I have followed this forum for 8 years now and have a lot of respect and value most of the peoples opinions that post here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    -thanks, Jon

I have done it in a pack-raft. IU am not familiar with drift boats but I would recommend that you put in below Carbon Creek as there is a pretty good hole where Carbon creek comes into the Mat and the wave train can be big there. If you did not want to float all the way to the Old Glenn there are several places along the highway that you can take out.

Jon
    You should be fine, there a few waves spots to watch for but ample room to skirt around those. There are boulders here and there, again pay attention, do t over load your boat and I'd say your good to go. Maybe on a scouting trip bring your boat up, run it from chicks loon down to the bridge in Palmer. Be a fun summer over night. Not to make it sound as if it's like rowing across a lake but I've run that section in a canoe, mini cat and my 16 foot cat. If ya end any other info or shuttle run let me know, I'm pretty close. Rob

Thank you akdd, and Rob for the replies. Thats a great idea Rob on the summer overnight trip. I think the boy would get a charge out of that.

You can easily float it in one day. Myself if I was going to hunt that tag with the drift boat I would concentrate on the area between King Mountain and King River. Once you get below Sutton the bluff gets pretty high and steep also that area below Sutton can be accessed by road.

Right on! I will mark it on my GPS and I will scout it this summer. Thank you akdd.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I'm happy to run it with you if I have a free day. PM sent.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I couple of my friends floated from king river to the palmer yesterday with pack rafts. So the river is open.